Halona Blowhole 12-6-08 pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw some photos on flicker...is this the site?

Hanauma Bay Park, the Blowhole and Eastern Oahu Neighborhoods - a set on Flickr

This photo looks amazing to me... PS?

532671816_ac5c797611.jpg

Sean

You know, sometime I want to meet you guys at the blow hole so I can scope it out. I wouldn't want to dive the first time, just recon for future possibility. I suspect I would not survive the entry and exit, but I sure would like to watch you guys do it once.

Halona Blowhole isn't that rough. You need to watch for low surf and low wind, preferably Kona winds. It's a beach entry just like Electric Beach. Even if the surf is up a bit, you can get in between the sets and drop down in the cove (i.e. the mouth of the cove can be very rough). The path down to Eternity Beach is well used and has some natural steps, so you're not scaling a cliff side. We had a brand new diver there this past weekend and she had no problem with the hike down or up or with the entry/exit, except that we surface swan out to the mouth before we descended on the first entry and that was a bit rough. We dropped down in the cove on the second dive and it was no problem. I may be going back there next week if conditions are right. Let me know if you're interested.

Cool dive, guys! The white spots around the green headed moray's (G. undulatus) mouth looks somewhat similar to a few disorders aquarium fish get, like lateral-line and hole-in-the-head. The causes of these diseases are many, from bacteria to rotten water conditions and even bad diets. The "collector urchin (Tripneustes gratilla)" is actually a pebble collector urchin (Pseudoboletia indiana). I often find them on the eastern end of the south shore. The mystery moray was a stout (Gymnothorax eurostus). It looks like you had an awesome dive, but did you guys see any box fish, whitetips, or Sinularia densa (soft coral)?
Cheers!

Cool dive, guys! The white spots around the green headed moray's (G. undulatus) mouth looks somewhat similar to a few disorders aquarium fish get, like lateral-line and hole-in-the-head. The causes of these diseases are many, from bacteria to rotten water conditions and even bad diets. The "collector urchin (Tripneustes gratilla)" is actually a pebble collector urchin (Pseudoboletia indiana). I often find them on the eastern end of the south shore. The mystery moray was a stout (Gymnothorax eurostus). It looks like you had an awesome dive, but did you guys see any box fish, whitetips, or Sinularia densa (soft coral)?
Cheers!

Lots of Spotted Boxfish. I've seen Cowfish here several times, but not on these dives. No white-tips. I've never seen them at this site. I didn't notice soft coral, but I'm told there is a lot out there.

Here is a whitetip I saw last time I was at Blowhole. He wasn't nearly as thrilled to see me as I was to see him.

Triaenodon_obesus_and_Mulloidichthys_flavolineatus_small.jpg

Here is the soft coral, Sinularia densa. There seems to be a lot of it there. At first it looks kind of like finger coral (Porites compressa) but as Picasso might have painted it.

Sinularia_densa_wall_small.jpg

Sinularia_densa_small.jpg

yeah.. that "soft" coral is all over at halona blowhole.. especially to the left.

a few large patches at lanai lookout too.. again, mainly to the left.

also, very small clumps of soft short-hair like coral at lanai lookout just below the entry.. saw 'em today with lonnie. will have to remember to take photos next time.

plus, there were a couple large white-tip sharks in the cave directly under the entry.

as for the white spots along the eel's mouth..
i guess harry was right the first time :eyebrow:

Is anyone diving this spot tomorrow (Saturday)? I don't want to dive with you (well, I probably do, but this is just a recon request), just see how you get to and from the entry site.

Anyone?

"I suspect I would not survive the entry and exit, but I sure would like to watch you guys do it once."

Its really not that bad. Just take your time observing the surf from the parking lot and waiting between the sets before you go in.
I prefer to go right (towards Hanauma) after leaving the cove. Watch for current.
As lonnie says, its best with Kona winds and small or no surf.

The main hassle is huffing and puffing up the hill after the dive.
But its a beautiful dive and worth the effort.

Lanai Lookout is a little more difficult.
I'd say its better to go with someone that's been there to show you the way in and out.

Nice pics !
-

Is anyone diving this spot tomorrow (Saturday)? I don't want to dive with you (well, I probably do, but this is just a recon request), just see how you get to and from the entry site.

Anyone?

Sea nmf,
blow hole is fairly easy, and I think you can do the climb down and out, just take your time!
Lanai Point is an AWESOME dive, but definately dive it with someone who has done it before the first time you do it. Best shore dive on the Island.

Vblue, glad to hear you are back! Still planning a May trip, but depends, my "part-time" "Fun" job has suddenly become full time, you know how work is so over-rated, I may have to quit.....:D

Nice pix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom