Halona Blowhole 12-6-08 pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to blowhole with Lonnie saturday. I only had time for one dive but it was great. Vis was awesome and there were creatures everywhere. Still i think one of the most interesting dive sites on the island.

Leaf scorpionfish.
3090704488_1b985ff589.jpg

Zebra lionfish?
3090704468_bc2e1f0728.jpg

Yellowstripe goatfish.
3090704456_c877265990.jpg

3090704432_ba2e5cf78e.jpg

Lined fireworm.
3090704396_a36ff7225e.jpg

Collector urchin.
3090704374_0d59fb5c39.jpg

Your Lionfish is the Hawaiian Green Lionfish, Dendrochirus barberi, and the Moray I believe is a Stout Moray since it lacks the bright white mouth of a Yellow Margin...

What side of the island is the Halona Blowhole?

Nice shots!

Sean

Blowhole is on the south near hanauma bay.

Thanks for the id's I think i forgot the stout label. But the lionfish helped.

awesome shots dave!

i followed lonnie on the second dive..

got some interesting eels..

snowflake?
snowflake-hb.JPG

old crusty yellow head?
anyone know what the white spots around its mouth are?
yellowhead-hb.JPG

and (my favorite).. a zebra..
zebra-hb.JPG

awesome shots dave!

i followed lonnie on the second dive..

got some interesting eels..

D/J - Great shots! I posted my pics at SugarSync - Album View. I didn't get any good shots of the Zebra Moray (or the Dwarf Moray and Cusk Eel), but I got shots of several other eels and the Eagle Ray. I agree on the Green Lionfish ID, but it is odd that the red doesn't show around its eye, which is the distinguishing mark. The visibility was awesome -- must have been close to 100' on that second dive.

You know, sometime I want to meet you guys at the blow hole so I can scope it out. I wouldn't want to dive the first time, just recon for future possibility. I suspect I would not survive the entry and exit, but I sure would like to watch you guys do it once.

If it is where I think it is, there is a long walk down sharp boulders to get in (balance being my problem), some heavy surf may come up, only one way in and out, and then, the climb back up the sharp bolders (I'm out of shape and old).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom