Halcyon & Santi's policy: we perform drysuit repairs "even without prior approval"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I understanding correctly that the ankle strap that is attached to the boot is wearing out the material that is under it?

Yes ... I love my Santi suit, but the boots are a chronic weakness. The ankle strap tends to wear holes in the neoprene, causing the boots to leak. The ones on my old Santi eSpace suit had to get replaced three times over the life of the suit. The ones on my current eMotion suit only lasted about seven months before I had to replace them.

But this time I sent it to a drysuit repair company down in Oregon who could replace them with a sturdier boot, and a one-week turnaround, for around $200. Now I love my Santi suit even more ... because I like the replacement boots better than I liked the Santi boots that it came with.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes ... I love my Santi suit, but the boots are a chronic weakness. The ankle strap tends to wear holes in the neoprene, causing the boots to leak.

Could the strap itself by modified to avoid this? Some kind of protective sleeve over the strap, or pad underneath? I would like to see a close-up picture of where the wear is occurring.

Could the strap itself by modified to avoid this? Some kind of protective sleeve over the strap, or pad underneath? I would like to see a close-up picture of where the wear is occurring.

It probably could ... but the point is it hasn't been. It's not like this is a new problem ... I bought my first Santi suit in 2010, and replaced the boots about a year later. It was already a known problem then.

Nonetheless, I like the suit enough to put up with it, and simply find my own solution once the first set of boots started leaking. I knew when I purchased the second Santi suit that they would, and bought it anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You could modify your order to say "DUI" or "BARE" instead of "Santi"... :wink:

Seriously, despite the apparent problem with Flexsole boots wearing prematurely, Santi suits are well made and loaded with features. Compare a Santi and DUI side by side as I did, and you can see the attention to detail in the Santi suit. I don't know of an alternative to Flexsoles. From what I have read, DUI's TurboSoles are flimsier than Flexsoles. They, too, have a strap, but I haven't read reports of them wearing prematurely.

Seriously, despite the apparent problem with Flexsole boots wearing prematurely, Santi suits are well made and loaded with features. Compare a Santi and DUI side by side as I did, and you can see the attention to detail in the Santi suit. I don't know of an alternative to Flexsoles. From what I have read, DUI's TurboSoles are flimsier than Flexsoles. They, too, have a strap, but I haven't read reports of them wearing prematurely.

When I get serious about having a tri-lam suit, I will definitely do that.

It seems like a lot of people want rock boots on their dry suit. I have a Bare XCS2 Tech dry suit (crushed neoprene) with rock boots. I've had it for over a year but, admittedly, not that many dives. 20? It has never leaked and the boots still look like new.

Nevertheless, I have thought many times that I would rather have socks and separate boots to wear.

With my boots, if I wear two really thick pair of wool socks, they are just snug enough. They could be a little more snug, but they are snug enough. I've never had my foot pop out of one. And wearing two really thick pairs of socks is okay when it's cool weather out and cold water. But, when it's a HOT day and the water is cool, but not cold, I would be very happy to only wear one thin pair of socks. But I can't because of the boot fit.

I feel like with socks they would adapt well to whatever I want to wear underneath.

So, why not order a Santi suit with socks, instead of boots and avoid the problem altogether?

Effervescent, you've got the word out (and you're looking for a proper resolution i.e. Nadwidny's post). Why isn't it time to let this go now on public forums?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom