Halcyon & Santi's policy: we perform drysuit repairs "even without prior approval"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Effervescent, you've got the word out (and you're looking for a proper resolution i.e. Nadwidny's post). Why isn't it time to let this go now on public forums?

Why do you think it is appropriate for me to "let this go now on public forums" if I haven't gotten a resolution on the matter? I believe what I am asking for is very reasonable and Halcyon has been maintaining its ground on an unethical policy.

Only about 4,000 people have seen this post. I'd say the word really isn't "out" yet.

I don't know of an alternative to Flexsoles.
When I bought my Santi, i had it custom fit, and I had to deal with the issue of the feet. There is no Santi dealer near me, so I was dealing with this online. I had no chance to try on anything. I have wide feet to begin with, and my right foot has a bad problem with Morton's neuroma, and this means that wearing footwear that is too tight can cause severe pain. I was therefore quite wary of buying any pre-attached foot gear that might make the suit unwearable for me. My choice then was to get a simple neoprene sock with no sole. When I dive, I usually use oversized Converse All Stars. I also have a pair of oversized wet suit booties that I use occasionally. The only problem I have is that it is something of a drag to go through the extra step of putting them on.

I think that Halcyon and Santi should just come here and "man up" about it. Or at the very least, apologize to OP via private email and give her the $400 back. Shutting down threads is cowardly, especially in this age of social media. No matter how you slice it, I just can't be convinced that their policy to do work without prior customer authorization is right. And I believe the majority of people who have posted here (and in other forums) is of the same view. So Halcyon/Santi...what's up with that?

Interesting... So now SANTI and Halcyon have silenced my thread on Facebook and they have somehow convinced the moderators of Cave Diving Forum to close my thread because it was getting too much attention there.

Hopefully the mods at scubaboard won't follow suit. Fortunately, scubaboard seems to have a good track record with this stuff most of the time.

I was surprised to see the thread closed on Cave Divers Forum myself, especially since I was just about to post to it. I thought I would take a moment and talk about how ScubaBoard generally deals with issues like this. Please note that what follows is completely generic and does not refer to anything in this thread specifically.

One of the problems with threads like this is they are often posted in inappropriate forums. (It could be argued that this one should be somewhere else.) In that case, we just move it to the appropriate forum. In some cases, people will post threads like this in a manufacturer's forum, but that may not be the best place for it. That is for questions about the products, not complaints or criticisms. In the manufacturer's forum, moderation is done by the manufacturer's representative, not a ScubaBoard moderator. We have, in fact, been chastised by some manufacturers for moderating in their forums. If you post a complaint or an attack in a manufacturer's forum, the manufacturer has the right to remove the thread.

We will sometimes move threads to the "Thumbs Down" forum if there is a lot of contention that we feel is inappropriate to the forum in which it was posted.

There are times when something does not seem right with a complaint. We had a thread once where we got the idea that the poster was essentially trying to extort the operation about which he was complaining. We have had competitors post attacking threads under false names. When those sorts of things happen, or when we sense that something like this MIGHT be happening, we talk among ourselves in an effort to come to a consensus about appropriate action. Once that discussion begins, we will do whatever we think is best. That is pretty rarely closing a thread. In fact, we very rarely close threads for any reason. In most cases, closing a thread is a temporary action designed to give us time to clean it up before it spins even further out of control. Threads are pretty much only closed permanently when we think they finished their purposes AND spun out of control with escalating inappropriate posts. If a thread has simply run out of steam, we just let it die a natural death. (Besides, it's fun when someone resurrects it 12 years later.)

OTE="kelemvor, post: 7760729, member: 413470"]Only about 4,000 people have seen this post. I'd say the word really isn't "out" yet.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps so but this thread isn't going anywhere. Many more people will see it in coming days and it will be searchable forever.

The CDF is closed but not gone so still searchable.

My concern was that it's getting a bit strident in here and that eventually starts to take away from the message.

chillyinCanada, thank you for using the word "strident", as I've never heard that word before and had to google it to understand its meaning. I have added one new word to my vocabulary. Thanks! :wink:

However, I have to disagree. I thought this post has been rather civil considering everything...no name calling, no expletives, etc.

Or have I been watching too much Trump coverage on CNN and am simply desensitized?

Pardon me for the rambling...it's Friday night and I'm bored. :nyah:

This post has been a real eye opener.

I was considering the Ladies First drysuit, but will definitely reconsider.

I've always thought that Halcyon/Extreme Exposure was reputable and had great customer service. I'm no longer sure about that.

I'd really like to hear Halcyon/EE/Santi's side of the story.

I haven't had experience with Halcyon/Extreme Exposure, but wanted to respond to mentions of Santi's Ladies First style. I own a stock sized E.Lite suit and recently purchased a custom made to measure E.Lite suit (not the "Ladies First" edition).

My new suit has been frustrating because Santi unilaterally chose "Ladies First" options for my suit even though I specifically did not request this. There were several discrepancies between what I ordered vs. what I received:

(1) Smaller pockets: I am a tech diver and I need to carry safety equipment. I have standard sized pockets on my first Santi suit (a stock sized E.Lite) and expected the same on my new suit. However, my suit arrived with the smaller pockets found on the Ladies First model. It seems Santi assumed that since I checked the "female" box, I would prefer the Ladies First features instead of those of the E.Lite that I ordered. As such, I now can no longer bring all the critical safety equipment that I normally have in my pockets.

(2) Zipper placement: The zipper is in the opposite direction of my original suit. While this is a mild annoyance, I'm not sure why Santi unilaterally decided to make my suit a "Ladies First" model even though I did not request this.

When I wrote asking for an explanation, they informed me that the reversed the zipper direction is because of "ladies brests". This makes no sense. I am not sure why having "ladies brests" is even applicable. A closer examination of the Santi website shows that on the Ladies First model, Santi states "To make the pocket look better on ladies...we have made it slightly smaller".

Ultimately, I had to accept the suit, much as Alice had to her repairs, in order to not miss out on the local dive season. I am left with the uncomfortable sensation that I've somehow gotten a mark against me for diving while female.

Reactions: kHz

Back
Top Bottom