Halcyon issues recall!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishOutUvH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/special-announcements/306223-halcyon-press-release.html

I saw this down in the special announcements forum and thought I'd post it up here for more exposure. It's important because I had the spring fail on my Eclipse wing a few weeks ago because of the rust issue. Fortunately, it failed during the pre-dive check, so I simply replaced it with a spring from a spare wing and went diving. I think I probably got a little lucky that it failed during the check and not during the dive (having to thumb the dive and swim the rig up would've sucked. Although, even with a broken OPV, I'm pretty certain that if I stayed vertical the wing would hold more than enough gas to do its job). I normally only disassemble the OPV and check it every year, but I think I'll be doing it a little more often now.

Just want people to see this.

Mod feel free to put it where you feel appropriate.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Halcyon Diving Equipment

Units: About 20,300

Manufacturer: Halcyon Manufacturing Inc., of High Springs, Fla.

Hazard: The over pressure valves (OPVs) in the diving equipment could fail allowing the buoyancy compensator devices (BCDs) and the diver lift inflatable devices to leak, posing a drowning hazard to divers.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: This recall involves Halcyon diving equipment including the Halcyon Explorer, Eclipse, CCR35, Evolve and Pioneer Buoyancy Compensator Devices (BCDs) and Halcyon Surface Marker Buoys (SMBs), Lift Bags, Diver Alert Markers (DAMs) Surf Shuttle and Diver Lift Raft Inflatable Devices. “Halcyon” is printed on the diving equipment.

Sold at: Diving equipment retailers and distributors from January 2006 through December 2008 for between $350 and $450 for the buoyancy compensator devices (BCDs) and between $50 and $275 for the inflatable devices.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using recalled diving equipment and return it to an authorized Halcyon distributor or dealer for a free inspection and, if necessary, free replacement of the overpressure valve spring.

Consumer Contact: : For more information, contact Halcyon at (800) 425-2966 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, visit the firm's Web site at Product Recall: OPV Spring | Halcyon Dive Systems, or email the firm at techservices@halcyon.net

Thanks for the post - Guess I better get my gear checked :( Bummer...

Any Authorized dealers in the Tampa area?

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged, off-topic posts removed. Post stickied...

Just checked my Evolve 60 wing, and even though my serial number does not start with one of the numbers cited on the H website my spring indeed looked exactly like the picture they posted. Don't go by the serial numbers on their site. Check your spring!

Bad_Spring_1_whole.jpg

Just checked my Evolve 60 wing, and even though my serial number does not start with one of the numbers cited on the halcyon website my spring indeed looked exactly like the picture they posted. Don't go by the serial numbers on their site. Check your spring!

Bad_Spring_1_whole.jpg

They all look like that.

What's wrong with yours?

Terry

They all look like that.

Nope - they should look like THIS:

GoodSpring_2.jpg

As do the springs in my H lift bag and safety sausages that have been on twice as many dives as my wing.

Are you talking about the rust? The recall didn't actually say what was wrong.

Terry

Nope - they should look like THIS:

GoodSpring_2.jpg

As do the springs in my H lift bag and safety sausages that have been on twice as many dives as my wing.

Actually it did:
These BCDs or Inflatable Devices could develop excessive corrosion or rusting problems with the stainless steel Over Pressure Valve (OPV) spring, causing the spring to fail and the BCD or Inflatable Device to leak through the OPV.

http://www.halcyon.net/opv-recall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom