Halcyon issues recall!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm. The elastic properties of compressed springs must deteriorate over time even without changing the load.

Why? If you don't exceed the "elastic limit" defined as maximum stress or force per unit area within a solid material that can arise before the onset of permanent deformation.

Springs take a permanent set when they are overloaded, or over heated, neither is the case with a OPV spring. OPV springs have low unit stresses.

The corrosion resistant grades of stainless steel typically used for OPV springs cannot be heat treated, but can be work hardened. That argues against a stainless spring reducing it's constant from repeated use.

Tobin

Better go check mine.

Interesting that most people don't use this location for filling bc with fresh water after a dive. I have always unscrewed the opv and flush out my bc after use, while also inspecting the spring for rust. I have an eclipse 30 and my issues have been the stainless inflator button sticking due to rust. It got to the point that I wouldn't trust it and was doing manual inflate when needed. After second complete cleaning I loaded it up with some silicone and that has done the trick. I know there was a recall on the inflator button, but mine was not covered. Anyone else had issues with inflator sticking?

be anal retentive about cleaning your gear.....warm fresh water.....pre dive system checks are when you wanna find this stuff out not under water

yes, my inflator button got a bit stuck underwaters.. it was blowing-out trickles of small bubbles during descent, nearing bottom. i pushed on it a bit couple of times & it stopped. No problem for the two dives. But checking it now, it seems a bit stuck again. :(
Will bring it to the dealer for check-up before my Sardine Run trip this Thursday.
Hope it gets fixed on time.

First time this happened in the three years I had it.

Mine decided to stick at 35 feet on a night dive fully inflating my bc, I had to disconnect and orally inflate. Prior to that I was having the issue where I could hit again and it would work. Unscrew it and add some silicone you should be fine, the metal on metal doesn't leave much of a tolerance for any rust or anything else to get in there.

had my wing & reg checked & serviced today. Everything A-ok now.
In preparation for my dive trip this coming Thursday. Sardine Run here we come!! :)))

Since this thread was resurrected, are the items being describe the SS inflator on a recall era unit? (units made after oct 31, 2003) Have you contacted Halcyon about your concerns?

ALL BCD inflators will have issues at some point if they are not cleaned and serviced properly.

The button got stuck while im past 20mts during the very first sardine dive, fully inflating my wing. It wouldnt budge. I dumped. swim down & unfasten the hose.
Still enjoyed fantastic dives for the weekend.
will try to post pics & vids in Asia-PPD forum.

Back
Top Bottom