Halcyon issues recall!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Springs don't 'lose resistance' from being coiled up all the time -- they lose resistance from being compressed and uncompressed, and compressed...etc etc.

As an example, think about magazines for pistols/rifles: you can keep them loaded indefinitely without any issues from the springs, but it is constant unloading and loading that slowly wears out the springs. That is why some people recommend having a set of 'range mags' that you use for practice (they take the brunt of wear and tear), and keeping a 'carry mag' that you don't use too often if you have a CCW.

Springs don't 'lose resistance' from being coiled up all the time -- they lose resistance from being compressed and uncompressed, and compressed...etc etc.

Makes sense - thanks

Thanks for the posts everyone! I saw the recall notice within a few days, but I've been putting off getting mine checked. Now I'm more convinced of my need to get it checked.

Thanks for the posts everyone! I saw the recall notice within a few days, but I've been putting off getting mine checked. Now I'm more convinced of my need to get it checked.

Don't put it off! We've had to replace several of the springs, including the one in my Eclipse. :palmtree: Bob

As an example, think about magazines for pistols/rifles: you can keep them loaded indefinitely without any issues from the springs, but it is constant unloading and loading that slowly wears out the springs. That is why some people recommend having a set of 'range mags' that you use for practice (they take the brunt of wear and tear), and keeping a 'carry mag' that you don't use too often if you have a CCW.

Hmm. The elastic properties of compressed springs must deteriorate over time even without changing the load. Magazine springs are much more resistive than the flimsy springs seen above. It would be an interesting experiment to test the elastic properties of a valve spring vs. a magazine spring over time under a constant load to see if they degrade. I would be willing to put $20 on the side that they do lose elasticity. --now who's got time to do the testing?? I dont think either would fail, but certainly the metal (or elastomers) would lose elasticity over time.

I think for all practical purposes SparticleBrane's conclusion is correct. Springs tend to fail from fatigue (loading/unloading), material deterioration, or over-extension. It's unlikely that a spring, just sitting in it's natural or even compressed state is going to lose any of it's "springy" properties without something else going on. Not in any appreciable way, or in a time span that would make it worth factoring in.

Hmm. The elastic properties of compressed springs must deteriorate over time even without changing the load. Magazine springs are much more resistive than the flimsy springs seen above. It would be an interesting experiment to test the elastic properties of a valve spring vs. a magazine spring over time under a constant load to see if they degrade. I would be willing to put $20 on the side that they do lose elasticity. --now who's got time to do the testing?? I dont think either would fail, but certainly the metal (or elastomers) would lose elasticity over time.

Over time they might lose elasticity but I would be willing to attribute that to environmental conditions -- having salt or whatever build up on the spring over time, if they aren't rinsed down properly.

Personally I've never had an issue with the springs on dump valves losing elasticity. I have a Halcyon Eclipse I bought ~3 years ago and it probably has ~100 dives on it. The spring seems to work just fine (and thankfully hasn't developed any rust). Between my wife and I we also have an Agir 38lbs doubles wing, a DSS Torus 49, a DSS Torus 38, and a Halcyon 3ft closed-circuit SMB. None of them seem to have any issues with the springs on their dump valves.

But hey -- if you have issues with springs losing elasticity, go get some new ones. Who am I to judge? :) As long as it works for you, that's what is important.

I'm wondering about this. Thinking perhaps I'll start unscrewing the valves when I'm cleaning my gear and leaving them unscrewed until the next dive.

I do this procedure with all of my OPV. Not for the reasons RJP initially put form (to save the spring) but because it allows air to get into the bladder/sausage and dry it out. It also unloads the seal which helps it out a bit.

I tried to unscrew my OPV and it just spun round and round :idk:
so, I turned it the other way and it spun round and round :idk:

Did you hold the bottom part?
Try pulling on it while unscrewing.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom