Halcyon issues recall!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walked in to my LDS, walked out 5min later with new spring installed.

Yep, it takes only 5 minutes or so to exchange the spring. Actually, my LDS called and asked me to bring my Eclipse and Evolve wing in so they could check them. The Eclipse spring was rusted, the Evolve was good. Halcyon is being upfront and taking responsibility for the problem, but I wouldn't expect any less from Halcyon. Thanks guys, good job. :palmtree: Bob

Grrrrr. Looks like my Eclipse wing is affected, Just opened it and . Luckily my Evolve is outside the manufacture date range for problems.

It's a good excuse to call DSS and get one of their replacement OPVs, with the thicker cord. Very nice.

Last edited:
I bought my Eclipse in March 2008, so I need to check mine too

I've never taken apart the OPV
I assume you just unscrew it?

You are right, very easy to unscrew counter clockwise.

There are a couple videos on Halcyon's web page, one demonstrates the replacement.

RJP is correct! Don't go off of Serial #'s. Bring your wing or bags into a Halcyon Facility to get inspected. The sad part is that Halcyon was the first and only one to come out with this recall while many other brands use this exact OPV from the same company. There was a bad batch of SS springs that were not 316ths and that's why there is the rust. I have already seen this with other manufacturers so I would encourage everyone that has a DiveRite, Oxycheq, DeepSeaSupply, AGIR, etc... to check their OPV's.

What if your OPV is not defective "yet" because it hasn't been used much.
Is there a way to test the spring to see if it's from the defective batch?
Could we use a magnet, stainless steel should not be attracted by one.
I will have my OPV's under scrutiny for a good while, even the new ones.

What if your OPV is not defective "yet" because it hasn't been used much.
Is there a way to test the spring to see if it's from the defective batch?
Could we use a magnet, stainless steel should not be attracted by one.
I will have my OPV's under scrutiny for a good while, even the new ones.

If there's any rust on the spring, the spring is bad. :palmtree: Bob

I change out my springs every year or so for routine maintenance since the springs stay compressed and lose resistance over time. I always notice a significant increase in the pressure when i put on a new spring.

On my equipment I had one spring on a SMB that was toast (rusted very bad) my wing's spring looked band new.

I change out my springs every year or so for routine maintenance since the springs stay compressed and lose resistance over time. I always notice a significant increase in the pressure when i put on a new spring.

I'm wondering about this. Thinking perhaps I'll start unscrewing the valves when I'm cleaning my gear and leaving them unscrewed until the next dive. Would alleviate the pressure on the springs for days/weeks when not underwater and would force you to inspect prior to every dive.

Hmmm....

Back
Top Bottom