Halcyon Backed Up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for offering Detroit Diver and WW,
but I have already prepaid, I guess I will just wait, I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it would to get mine because they are backordered. Do you think I could call there 1800 number or e-mail them to see how backordered they are? I wonder if I will get a reply.
Well Thanks
Tekkie

Their customer service is excellent. I would think that they would tell you the backorder status of any item.

MakoSince70 once bubbled...
But I like a pull dump on the shoulder and at the bottom of the wing. I saw a previous string on this issue. So those of you who have dove wings with and without these features, did you miss these options on the Halcyon?
I don't miss the pull dump at all. The Halcyon DOES have a butt-dump on the left side, plate side of the wing. In this position it wraps the side of the tank with the dump exposed on your left for easy access during horizontal ascents. I've seen some wings with the butt dump located on the outside of the wing on the right. When the wing wraps around the tank, this dump is inaccessible... or at least not easy to get to.

My RecWing has the butt dump in the same position.

Preferences:
The bungees on the Rec tend to push all of the air to the top of the cell, in contrast with the Pioneer (36 and 45) being pleated to hold more air toward your center of balance (waist).
Removing the bungees completely leaves a wing that is a touch too "floppy" for a single tank, but really not wide enough for doubles. Sure... it can be used with doubles, but it does not wrap the sides of the tanks... just kinda blows up between the plate and cylinders, rendering the butt-dump pretty much useless unless you are VERY head-down.
It's not a TERRIBLE single tank wing... just less than optimal.

I really like the flow-around design of the 27/36/45 Pioneers, allowing air to move across the cell with the diver in any attitude... head high or head down. This is an excellent design feature for a single tank wing.

Halcyon ships without a "bolo ball" on the pull dump. I took mine apart and replaced the thin string with a few inches of #36 cave line. Makes it a bit easier to find and operate with heavy gloves. I didn't have BIG problems before, but it's just easier this way.
No need for the bolo ball... just find the valve, encircle it, and close your fingers... the string will be there.

Tekkie, you may want to take some time when you get the backplate to make sure that all the edges are smooth on the plate. Halcyon is said to be having quality problems with sharp edges which are cutting the harness and abraiding the bc. Quality of the angle stamp is said to be inconsistent, as well. Visited the Halcyon booth at Sea Rovers and felt the back plate edge, there was a definite sharpness to the edges. Another possible plate is the one made by Highland Millworks, maker of the bands that EE uses on their doubles offering. Saw a post for other makers as well. Would difinitely use their wings, I am very satisfied with the pioneer for my singles and the explorer for my doubles. Would try to back away from the Halcyon plate at this time, but get the rest of the stuff. :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom