SCUBAPRO Falcon BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graham Leach

Registered
Reaction score
I have been diving a ScubaPro Falcon BCD for a long, long time.

Here's a picture of it from when I bought it (2006-02-27):

GrahamYellowBCD.JPG

I just did 12 dives in the Philippines with it, and it worked great, though it's now getting a bit snug for me (I have gained 10kg since I bought it). It is a Medium, manufactured in the USA. While I am trying (now) to lose some weight, that's a tough battle that may take a year or more to get back down to the same size I was almost 20 years ago.

I bought it on eBay shortly after certifying. I have never used anything other than it, aside from the SeaQuest Dive School (jacket style) BCDs offered by the resort(s) we went to.

I cannot find anything out about this BCD online (except for one for sale - sold a long, long time ago).

I like this BCD just fine - aside from its tendency to flip me on my face when at surface, which I really don't like.

I am just wondering if anyone else has/had this BCD and what they liked or didn't like about it?

Also, a small question. There's a female Fastex clip on the left side that is now empty.

Does anyone know what originally went there?

Thanks

aside from its tendency to flip me on my face when at surface

You are putting too much air in it, try less.

Also, a small question. There's a female Fastex clip on the left side that is now empty.

Anything you want to attach with a male clip on it?

I have been diving a ScubaPro Falcon BCD for a long, long time.

Here's a picture of it from when I bought it (2006-02-27):

View attachment 814965

I just did 12 dives in the Philippines with it, and it worked great, though it's now getting a bit snug for me (I have gained 10kg since I bought it). It is a Medium, manufactured in the USA. While I am trying (now) to lose some weight, that's a tough battle that may take a year or more to get back down to the same size I was almost 20 years ago.

I bought it on eBay shortly after certifying. I have never used anything other than it, aside from the SeaQuest Dive School (jacket style) BCDs offered by the resort(s) we went to.

I cannot find anything out about this BCD online (except for one for sale - sold a long, long time ago).

I like this BCD just fine - aside from its tendency to flip me on my face when at surface, which I really don't like.

I am just wondering if anyone else has/had this BCD and what they liked or didn't like about it?

Thanks
I am in much the same boat, in that I have gained 30 lbs (~14kg) since I last used my BC. It is also a Medium, but royal blue in colour. I bought it new from a scuba shop near me many years ago and put nearly 175 dives on it before taking a break from diving, some 20 years ago.

When I went to put it on before my my refresher course, I discovered that it no longer fit.

I LOVED this BC and wish I had bought in a larger size, so I could continue to use a back-inflation BC instead of the jacket style you have to rent when you travel. I particularly loved the way it keeps you horizontally trimmed while in the water,. I know that one of the main complaints about back-inflation and backplate-style BCDs is that they tip you face-forward on the surface, but I never had this problem unless I put too much air in it. The only thing I didn't care for was the weight dump system, which is not as slick as the current pocket-styles.

I hav been trying to sell mine for several months, but can't seen to generate any interest. I guess everyone only knows the jacket-style they learned with, until they begin technical diving, and then go straight to a backplate.

By the way, I checked and mine also has a female Fastex clip on the left side, and since I bought it brand new, I know that there was never anything attached there. However, when I was taking my Divemaster course, I kept my set of plasticized cards clipped there, which worked really well.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the lift capacity of this BC is, do they?
I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Attachments

• ScubaPro BC 1.jpg
    ScubaPro BC 1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 13
I am in much the same boat, in that I have gained 30 lbs (~14kg) since I last used my BC. It is also a Medium, but royal blue in colour. I bought it new from a scuba shop near me many years ago and put nearly 175 dives on it before taking a break from diving, some 20 years ago.

When I went to put it on before my my refresher course, I discovered that it no longer fit.

I LOVED this BC and wish I had bought in a larger size, so I could continue to use a back-inflation BC instead of the jacket style you have to rent when you travel. I particularly loved the way it keeps you horizontally trimmed while in the water,. I know that one of the main complaints about back-inflation and backplate-style BCDs is that they tip you face-forward on the surface, but I never had this problem unless I put too much air in it. The only thing I didn't care for was the weight dump system, which is not as slick as the current pocket-styles.

I hav been trying to sell mine for several months, but can't seen to generate any interest. I guess everyone only knows the jacket-style they learned with, until they begin technical diving, and then go straight to a backplate.

By the way, I checked and mine also has a female Fastex clip on the left side, and since I bought it brand new, I know that there was never anything attached there. However, when I was taking my Divemaster course, I kept my set of plasticized cards clipped there, which worked really well.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the lift capacity of this BC is, do they?
I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

There may yet be hope.

As you mentioned, the ScubaPro Falcon BCD works great. Its transitional combo wing/jacket design is interesting and useful.
The only problem I'm having is somehow extending the belly band as I have ballooned from 190lbs to 220lbs in the past 25 years.

Currently I am at 100kg. The cummerbund still fits (barely) but the fixed length belly strap doesn't, even at max extension.

So what I did was purchase an adjustable 1" strap (like one for a bag, for example) for about USD4.00 and thread that through the same places that the original strap went and used that instead.

As for the original strap, I tucked it back into the BCD, or just left them hanging. I also used a weight belt, not the pockets.

It worked like a charm. Yes, it was a quick fix, but it got me through 9 dives in Donsol / Manta Bowl and Ticao Island just last month.

My plan is to make an "extender" for the Falcon waistband some day. If I do, I'll send you a pic of my results and maybe even send you one. The issue will be finding compatible FasTek clips and webbing.

Essentially, this, but with FasTek and webbing...

Thanks, I could probably create something similar that would work.
Unfortunately, there is also the problem of the now-too-small front buckle as well.
I guess if I can create a waistband extender out of fastex buckles and nylon webbing, I could probably have the buckles removed from the waist trap and chest strap and have those bits of webbing lengthened as well. Thanks for the ideas. I no longer need to sell my wonderful BC; I can just have it modified 🤗

Back
Top Bottom