Halcyon Backed Up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the past year there have been times when we just couldn't get anything from Halcyon. When we did get stuff we got one at a time no matter how many we ordered. If 5th D always had Halcyon products they must be blessed.

Halcyon might be small but if you go to cave country Their stuff is all over. If you go to Gilboa it looks like a Halcyon commercial.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
So they increased from 400 to 1200?

Hey, that would mean there are now as many Halcyon owners as there are Bengals fans!:D

Hey SeaJay, I am interested in a response from you on the following, if a back wing why Halcyon?
Your reply will interest me because if I understand from previous strings, you are a relatively new diver and have been intensely researching the decesion of going to a jacket bc or wing. Looks like you have decided on a wing. If so why Halcyon

I have been diving off and on for 32 years. Started in the days of horse collars. By 1999 the kids were gone, work was stable and I found myself in need of a diversion in life. So I put more time into diving. To give you a little idea of the type diving I do. My 2003 plan:
Off to St Maarten and Saba in two weeks
May, Gulf Coast to the Flower Gardens
July will be Roatan
Aug, a couple of days with the NC wrecks. Great place to live SeaJay
Each week end of the summer DM for a LDS with students at CSSP
Terrel TX

I will never do cold water diving. We lived at Everett WA from 97-99. We even sold the boat there. The water is just to cold for me. Snow sking sounded like the better entertainment.

Don't plan on doing caves. Did that in the 70s and figured that it made no sence to me. No slam on you cavers, each to their own.

But, I can see getting more serious about wreck penatration.

So the Halcyon. I know a number of people who purchased them in the last year. All of them are satisfied.
But I like a pull dump on the shoulder and at the bottom of the wing. I saw a previous string on this issue. So those of you who have dove wings with and without these features, did you miss these options on the Halcyon?

For you true diehards that have to have a Hacyon. The shop I DM with carries the line and provides a nice discount for us non paid divemasters. So I can get a deal on one. And the shop does have them in stock.
Any opinions on the Zeagle Ranger?

Cincy,

While I'll admit that their backplate price is high, I think that the quality of things like their wings are second to none, and thus, at least for me, it's worth it. In addition, the customer service is what the industry should model from.

Here's a snip from a post last week from the CEO. It had to do with a rusted d-ring on an ACB weight pocket:

"Guys and gals,
If you see this sort of thing please take the time to contact us and let us make it right. We try very hard to catch everything but we will miss things from time to time. Please don't suffer through something that is not right. Mick, Bob (our tech services guy) asked about your case and I requested that he contact you directly. It is likely that a non stainless d-ring snuck its way into our supply and we will be very happy to get that off your ACB. If any of you have any of these sorts of issues then please contact techservices@halcyon.net.
Thank you for your support.
Best,
Jarrod"

I"ve seen them ship $3.00 replacement parts overseas at no charge-including the freight.

Yes, they are high priced for some items, but sometimes it's worth the extra bucks.

Now delivery is another issue......

MakoSince70 once bubbled...
Hey SeaJay, I am interested in a response from you on the following, if a back wing why Halcyon?
Your reply will interest me because if I understand from previous strings, you are a relatively new diver and have been intensely researching the decesion of going to a jacket bc or wing. Looks like you have decided on a wing. If so why Halcyon

I know it sounds like I am brand loyal, but I'm not. I couldn't care less who makes it... What I care about is how well it works. And simply put, the Halcyon wing works great.

The wing I just purchased is a Pioneer 27... A "singles" wing. It's a pretty awesome piece of kit.

Firstly, the wing is small and flat, and is donut shaped, not horseshoe shaped. That means that when using your bottom dump, you can dump all of the air without having to do acrobatics. Donut shaped wings are superior in design in this aspect.

Also, all Halcyon Pioneer wings have a built in single tank adapter. Frankly, I've always used a single tank adaper anyway, but it's a nice way of getting the rig to be even simpler and more streamlined than before. Yes, you can still use a standard STA, if you need the extra weight or if you want the tank to be even more secure. No other wing has this "integrated single tank adapter" feature, to the best of my knowlege.

Halcyon's hoses, buttons, valves, and materials are the best I've seen. High quality and rugged, you can simply expect longer life from this wing than others... And for it to stay nicer during the time that you have it. This alone would make it my first pick.

Lastly, the simplicity in design and the overall streamlining that Halcyon's wings is superior to other designs than I've seen. Dive Rite makes a Travel Wing which is also very good, but Halcyon does it without using a spandex material which wears out over time and makes it harder to manually inflate your wing. Also, Travel Wings by Dive Rite won't go on a backplate. Halcyon's wings are specifically designed to go on a backplate.

I have built my own rig... My choices in backplate were the FredT, the Gary Hoadley, or the Halcyon. I liked the electroplated finish that the Halcyon had, but I preferred the superior corrosion resistance from FredT and Gary Hoadley. I eventually chose the Hoadley plate because of the "slanted" slots on the shoulder, designed for better webbing wearability. I'm very impressed with Gary Hoadley's work. For reference, the Koplin plates, which I also very much liked, were not an option since they do not have the slots necessary for using the Pioneer built-in single tank adapter.

My 2" webbing came with my plate, but could be gotten anywhere. I did order a Halcyon buckle and a Halcyon 2" "ultrasoft" crotch strap.

The rig is simply awesome. Highly recommended...

But I like a pull dump on the shoulder and at the bottom of the wing. I saw a previous string on this issue. So those of you who have dove wings with and without these features, did you miss these options on the Halcyon?

That's a really great question... And if you look it up, you'll see that I had that issue too.

Dive Rite wings have pull dumps... And I was very much wanting a pull dump just like you.

Pull dumps work well when they're on a back inflate or jacket style BC. The reason is because they can solidly mount the pull dump on the shoulder strap/top of the bladder and not have a problem with it. It will basically work in that position.

A pull dump on a regular wing won't really work, because the wing isn't a part of your shoulder strap. Thus, when you pull it, it is only successful at pulling the wing over (folding it over) rather than actually dumping air. It's bad enough to not even bother using a pull dump on a wing system. Of course, this sounds like a perfect reason for going with a jacket or back inflate BC, but the problem with that is, of course, you don't get the awesome advantages of a backplate and wing system (streamlining, modular build, bulletproof quality, customizability, stability, etc...)

So the way I see it, it's either a functional pull dump on a "normal" BC, or going without it on a bp/wing.

I will tell you this, though, to make you feel better... With a backplate and wing, because of the awesome trim characteristics that you can "tune" into the rig, you likely won't be using the top mounted dump much anyway. Most bp/wing users use the bottom dump, because they are more horizontal in the water than other divers. So really, with a bp/wing, the whole issue of having a pull dump kinda becomes moot anyway.

...Which reminds me of one more reason I like Halcyon wings... Because their bottom dump is on the left side. Why's that a big deal? Because you can inflate with your power inflator, or deflate either top or bottom, all with your left hand... That way, your right hand can be busy doing something else or holding that new antique Coke bottle you found at the bottom or the river... Or holding onto the upline because the current is at 3+ knots... Or whatever. With any other brand name wing, deflating and inflating are done with two different hands, and you may need to use two hands to get your buoyancy right.

Oh yeah... One more thing... Halcyon wings do not use spandex or elastic or bungees to hold things in place. Halcyon wings are simply manufactured to be in place all by themselves... Without requiring bungees. Why's that an advantage? Well, bungees and elastic wears out...

Yes, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Any opinions on the Zeagle Ranger? [/B]

There's lots of people in here that really like them, although they don't have a following quite like the bp/wings do. I've seen the unit in the stores, and tried it on... I thought it looked to be made of very high quality materials.

What I didn't like about it was the weight ditch system. While I haven't dove a Ranger before, I have dove Zeagle back inflates before... And I simply *hate* that weight quick release system. I found it to be unassuring, insecure, low in quality, and a pain in the neck to use. Not only would it drop weights on it's own when you weren't looking, but it wouldn't drop the weights when it was supposed to.

However, not everyone shares my dislike for the system.

I talked to both FifthD and EE about their stock situation recently. Halcyon steel backplates are backordered. Assuming you ordered a SS BP with the wing, that's probably the reason that you're having trouble getting your Pioneer. As of last week, FifthD was sold out of steel BPs, and Extreme Exposure had one rigged steel backplate (plus one display, I think), which FifthD ended up stealing from them. You can still get an aluminum backplate, though.

...Then frankly, I think there are better options out there anyway.

FredT, a poster here on this board and machinist extraordinaire, sells steel plates that are more corrosion resistant, have more features, and will fit all kinds of gear, including Halcyon, OMS, and Dive Rite. It'd be hard to find a wing that didn't fit his plates... Halcyon's plates do not have this luxury.

FredT also sells the plates in a variety of weights and sized to accomodate different torso lengths better. To boot, his plates are less expensive than Halcyon's.

I personally purchased a Gary Hoadley plate, which I preferred by a slim margin to Fred's plates because of Gary's awesome deburring process and matte finish, not to mention the "slanted" slots that make webbing wear a bit better. Gary also sells the plates in different sizes as well.

Gary's email is gary.hoadley@sympatico.ca for more information... FredT's is ftagge@goldinc.com .

Scott Koplin at Koplin Fabrication (do a search on the web) also makes an awesome plate... And like Fred's and Gary's, is also less expensive than Halcyon's... However, Scott's plates do not have the slots necessary to use the Pioneer wing's STA-less design, so if you chose one of his plates, you'd be stuck with using a single tank adapter (which you may prefer anyway, it's just that you're not stuck with needing one with the other plates).

...So I would say just to order the plates seperately and buy the wing seperately. My Hoadley plate came fully rigged, so it was just a matter of making the adjustments to fit me...

My LDS has the SS BP in stock also. See post above for contact number.

MikeS once bubbled...

Hey, that would mean there are now as many Halcyon owners as there are Bengals fans!:D

That's the freaking truth!

Back
Top Bottom