H valve set up ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're familiar with 5thD, they're a DIR diveshop... Hose protectors are a no-no in DIR. Just surprised they would use a photo like that.

Hmm...rather silly to take a shot at DIR when I was just trying to post some usefull info in response to M's question. Oh well, what's new?

Oh...

M.,

C and D say Hi!

...and my suggestion...ebay the new valve, set up a nice clean rig,grab a buddy and go divin'.

If you're right, then that's something they've changed relatively recently. I've seen JJ and GI write several times that hose protectors conceal potential leaks, can gather salt and sand, trap moisture, etc.

CRDiver:
If you're right, then that's something they've changed relatively recently. I've seen JJ and GI write several times that hose protectors conceal potential leaks, can gather salt and sand, trap moisture, etc.
No, it is not a recent change. And yes they conceal potential wear. However, the approved solution is to pull them back for cleaning and inspection.

Take a look at the last paragraph on this page right above the illustrations:

http://www.gue.com/equipment/regulators.shtml

James

Hose protectors are ok as long as they are black.

Optik:
Ive never had a regulator fail on me, only the guage. So it may not be the best solution for problem, but its better than no backup at all. I really dont want to do a 60foot dive with doubles, and i really dont want to mess with the pony bottle. So this leads me again to the H valve, not quite a redundant air supply, but it will certainly help in case of an equipment failure.
So this gves you a spare ofsomething that dosn't fail, at the expense of a couple of extra failure points (saay a leak at the joint between the main and the aux valve, if these are made from two parts joinde with o rings).

Not to say additional failure procedures to master.

If you are thinking this way i suggest you think about a pony bottle.

cold water may be a different matter, this allows addional options in case of regulator freeze up. I know divers that consider this important. I dive northern calif mostly, its cold but not THAT cold..

At the advice of another member I will switch over to DIN. However, there has to be some merit in having redundant regulators. Failure of this device is my biggest concern and the ability to surface safety is paramount. I don’t know what the statistics of a regulator failure are, but I do not want to ever be one of them.

ba_hiker:
So this gves you a spare ofsomething that dosn't fail, at the expense of a couple of extra failure points (saay a leak at the joint between the main and the aux valve, if these are made from two parts joinde with o rings).

Not to say additional failure procedures to master.

If you are thinking this way i suggest you think about a pony bottle.

cold water may be a different matter, this allows addional options in case of regulator freeze up. I know divers that consider this important. I dive northern calif mostly, its cold but not THAT cold..

Back
Top Bottom