H valve set up ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H-valves are unnecessary for recreational diving and antiquated for tech diving. And having spoken with DIR-F grads, they are discussed in class, but no one is required to use them. Use a sling or pony bottle if you want/need a redundant air supply, or doubles for tech diving.

As a minimum, get rid of one of the second stages. All you need is one per valve.

The only purpose I see in having an h-valve is for a cavern or intro to cave course where they require it as a minimum. They're an old solution to an old problem that has newer, better answers.

James Goddard:
I have do completely disagree Mike. There is a big, big difference between a CESA and a bouyant emergency ascent. As I pointed out, I limit my solo diving to 30' max and the surface is a safe option from that distance. From 100' the surface is NOT a safe option.

James

I see your point but I don't think that every one here limits their depths to 30 ft like you do.

Ive never had a regulator fail on me, only the guage. So it may not be the best solution for problem, but its better than no backup at all. I really dont want to do a 60foot dive with doubles, and i really dont want to mess with the pony bottle. So this leads me again to the H valve, not quite a redundant air supply, but it will certainly help in case of an equipment failure.

Question: are you able to indentify the reg shutoffs independently and close down the right one quickly in the event of a freeflow? Everyone I know - including a couple cave divers - are pretty unanimous in saying how difficult it is to do in a timely manner with an h-valve. I agree with you that doubles in 60 feet is overkill, but carrying a pony is very easy, adds minimal weight and gives true redundancy. My buddy and I both carry one and we never notice them.

CRDiver:
H-valves are unnecessary for recreational diving and antiquated for tech diving. And having spoken with DIR-F grads, they are discussed in class, but no one is required to use them. Use a sling or pony bottle if you want/need a redundant air supply, or doubles for tech diving.

As a minimum, get rid of one of the second stages. All you need is one per valve.

The only purpose I see in having an h-valve is for a cavern or intro to cave course where they require it as a minimum. They're an old solution to an old problem that has newer, better answers.
I have heard this argument in the past. I now have two 120's with H-Valves. The reason is that regulators can free-flow in the Great Lakes due to simple over breathing/use at depth. Manifolded doubles are great, but not all boats have the room for them nor do I always feel like lugging around two HP100's on my back for a shore dive where I have to hike 1/4 of a mile.

Freeflow issues are simple to solve with an H-valve. Without H-Valve's, you are cutting off your main air supply while the reg takes a minute or so to "defrost". That isn't good if something else happens in the meantime.

PS, my slinged pony bottle carries EAN50. That isn't the best gas to use unless I intend to remain shallow. Many of the divers that I see with pony's put them on their tanks where they can't reach the valve if they do have a problem. I think that in a case like that the H-Valve is the more practical alternative.

CRDiver:
Question: are you able to indentify the reg shutoffs independently and close down the right one quickly in the event of a freeflow? Everyone I know - including a couple cave divers - are pretty unanimous in saying how difficult it is to do in a timely manner with an h-valve. I agree with you that doubles in 60 feet is overkill, but carrying a pony is very easy, adds minimal weight and gives true redundancy. My buddy and I both carry one and we never notice them.
Just had to do that last weekend. It isn't easy, but I was able to do it. My doubles work better, but the 120 was doable.

I use E8-130's, and if I were diving in wrecks on a more regular basis I might consider it too. But for routine, relatively shallow rec diving, it doesn't make alot of sense. I dive exclusively in cold, dark lakes, and once in awhile make it to Wazee Lake or Lake Michigan, so I understand your point.

My, my... Look at all those hose protectors...

Back
Top Bottom