H valve set up ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Optik

Reaction score
got the new valve installed, now to find out how to route the regulators. Any tips i have a pic here.
attachment.php

Omit the seacure regulator, i dont think i need 3 :wink: but do note how the octo is setup, any thoughts?

Same as diving doubles. The first stage behind your right shoulder gets your primary second stage and inflator hose. The first stage behind your left shoulder gets your back-up second stage and pressure gauge (and drysuit inflator hose).

Route the hoses so that they are not in the way of you reaching both valves while wearing your gear.

theskull

First off, no personal offense meant to the thread originator but this is a good example of what's is so scary about this forum. Yes I have thoughts. That picture is a mess. Aside from the third second stage which you already pointed out the hose lengths and routing is going to be messy. Rout all the hoses in and down with nothing out to the side.

The yolk connections are, IMO, a bad idea also.

And my pet peave...No one needs dust caps under water. They'll do nothing other than get in the way. Besides you want them dry right?

MikeFerrara:
That picture is a mess. Aside from the third second stage which you already pointed out the hose lengths and routing is going to be messy. Rout all the hoses in and down with nothing out to the side.

The yolk connections are, IMO, a bad idea also.

And my pet peave...No one needs dust caps under water. They'll do nothing other than get in the way. Besides you want them dry right?

Pretty much my thoughts, word for word. The first thing I thought when I saw the pic was "That is a mess."

Change to DIN. Get rid of the dust caps. Primary (long hose) and wing inflator on the right post. Backup (on short hose) and pressure gauge coming off the left. If you dive dry, that also goes on the left post.

How many second stages do you need? :06:

Good good, great input. So to summarize

1. Dust caps off

2. Get DIN (no prob)

3. Hose length? Long primary as in dir style?

4. And route the hoses down

No offense, on the contrary, that’s why I ask, I am asking for input. Just don’t be all what an idiot (that sux). Yeah I just slapped this stuff together as soon as I got it, not diving with it yet.

Keep in mind that an h-valve is not what you would consider completely redundant. There are still failure modes possible that could result in a total gas loss.

Also an h-valve or manifolded doubles isn't going to help unless you are practices at manipulating the valves. If you either can't reach or don't know what to reach when all it does is give you more places to spring a leak.

I don't want to make it appear as though I'm trying to teach solo diving here because although I've done it as a rule I don't. However as diver in a team I generally have a single with an h-valve or manifolded doubles. That's when I have one or more buddies who also carry extra gas that I can use should I suffer a total loss. If I was going to dive solo I would at a minimum do something to replace my buddies reserve gas.

That means a "buddy bottle" or independants.

Sidemount would be particularly attractive for me here because there's nothing on your back to get snagged, either tank is easily removable, valves are protected in your arm pits, you can visually inspect them and you can always reach them even if your pinned down pretty good.

Severe gas losses may not be common but they can happen. If I have a leak behind me in my manifolded doubles I'll have my buddy inspect things to make sure I've solved the problem. You can only feel and hear so much. A solo diver doesn't have that luxury.

I keep reading all the posts on this forum from divers who are diving solo in plain old recreational equipment claiming that the surface is their redundant supply and yet claim to understand the risks. In theory, all recreational divers have the surface as an option but they also have a buddy. IMO, if you're going to do without a buddy you need more than the surface.

I don't buy it but...different strokes for different folks I guess.

All i have to say about this, is what a great reply. Very educated and mature.

MikeFerrara:
Keep in mind that an h-valve is not what you would consider completely redundant. There are still failure modes possible that could result in a total gas loss.

Also an h-valve or manifolded doubles isn't going to help unless you are practices at manipulating the valves. If you either can't reach or don't know what to reach when all it does is give you more places to spring a leak.

I don't want to make it appear as though I'm trying to teach solo diving here because although I've done it as a rule I don't. However as diver in a team I generally have a single with an h-valve or manifolded doubles. That's when I have one or more buddies who also carry extra gas that I can use should I suffer a total loss. If I was going to dive solo I would at a minimum do something to replace my buddies reserve gas.

That means a "buddy bottle" or independants.

Sidemount would be particularly attractive for me here because there's nothing on your back to get snagged, either tank is easily removable, valves are protected in your arm pits, you can visually inspect them and you can always reach them even if your pinned down pretty good.

Severe gas losses may not be common but they can happen. If I have a leak behind me in my manifolded doubles I'll have my buddy inspect things to make sure I've solved the problem. You can only feel and hear so much. A solo diver doesn't have that luxury.

I keep reading all the posts on this forum from divers who are diving solo in plain old recreational equipment claiming that the surface is their redundant supply and yet claim to understand the risks. In theory, all recreational divers have the surface as an option but they also have a buddy. IMO, if you're going to do without a buddy you need more than the surface.

I don't buy it but...different strokes for different folks I guess.

Optik, what is the reason you have chosen to use an H valve?

Have you given it some thought on how it fits in within your overall gear configuration needs for the types of dives you intend to use it with?

3. Hose length? Primary long hose? That's another good discussion if someone wants to start a thread.

MikeFerrara, thanks for your insightful and informative post. You willingly share much of your knowledge on this board and are an asset to this forum. Just try and get passed your concerns about the wisdom of discussing the topic of solo diving here. The concerns you raise are valid issues as relates to buddy diving discussions on this board, too, even if few ever mention it. Then again, never mind, you do opine plenty about buddy diving too. lol Much of which I agree with.

H valve, well i dont feel like using doubles, and i would still like to dive with 2 regulators. Solo or just diving it feels like a logical thing to do provided the funds are available. Now the problem is, just how practical this really is. I may need different hoses, i will try to work something out and practice too. Its fun just messing with all the new gear. Uggh i hate untested gear though. ok time for sleep.

MikeFerrara:
In theory, all recreational divers have the surface as an option but they also have a buddy. IMO, if you're going to do without a buddy you need more than the surface.
I have do completely disagree Mike. There is a big, big difference between a CESA and a bouyant emergency ascent. As I pointed out, I limit my solo diving to 30' max and the surface is a safe option from that distance. From 100' the surface is NOT a safe option.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom