Guy Catches 350 LB Goliath Grouper AKA Jewfish in LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Non - Diving related, but still of interest to divers...

Here's the story from the "By the Sea Times" in Lauderdale by the Sea.

http://bytheseatimes.com/featurescatch.html

The guy DID release it, and the giant fish swam away -

“The Catch of a Lifetime”

With notes from www.boatlessfishing.com

catch.jpg

Jeffrey Dillon caught this 350 pound Grouper while fishing off the Lauderdale by the Sea fishing pier this week. Here’s the play by play, in his own words:

“Ninety percent of my fishing for the last five years has been for snook,” Dillon said. “Well it was 2:20 am, and I was sitting at the house, sick as a dog, debating whether to fish or not. I mustered up some energy, grabbed a few pompano heads out my freezer and a few sand fleas and I headed to the Anglins Pier with high hopes of a good morning bite.”

”Got out on the pier at 5 am and set up just east of the middle shelter on the north side at the reef line. I then figured I would throw out a pompano head with hopes of a spinner or stray cobia until the sun came up. So I rig my Thorium 30 loaded with 40 lb Suffix on my Cal Star 900H. Started with a bimini to 80 lb mono and a foot of wire with a 9/0 mustad. Flipped my pompano head out about 30 yards and set it down on clicker. Not ten minutes later, I hear my clicker move a bit. Picked up the rod and nothing is there, again clicker and then nothing. As I am setting the rod back down I feel a solid thump, and the line started peeling of my reel hard. I counted to 10 and laid into the fish HARD. I felt a few headshakes immediately and thought nothing of it. The fish then started to steadily take drag like a big bottom patty and I felt a bit disappointed. Then again I feel a few head shakes and soon I was being manhandled by the fish out to the pier’s tee. I would gain a bit then he (the fish) would take a bit...”

”It then took me across the front of the tee and made another run south. At this time we realized the fish was up on the surface, due to the angle of my line and the fact that it did not get tangled with a bunch of bottom rods that were out. Now I am thinking it’s not a bottom patty. I muster up some more energy and really try to put some heat on the fish. The hard work paid off, I had the fish turned and coming towards the pier. A few minutes later we had color and realized that this fish was not shark, or bottom patty. It was a Grouper! Everyone scrambled for a net but I knew there was no way this fish would come close to fitting in a net. So I said, ‘Tom, we’re gonna need a bigger net”. At this point, I am whooped but I was able to stop the fish from getting under the pier and into the pylons by some miracle.”

”We then decided we would beach this fish for some much deserved glory shots. After fighting the still strong and kicking fish off every pylon down to the sand from the tee, the fish was met in the water by the two brave soul’s Philly Bass and Amos. They did battle with the fish for a few good minutes just trying to get a hold of the fish and get it up on the beach. Once they got a hold of it, it took two more guys, surfer boy and me, just to get this fish upright for a quick photo session. Then Amos, Philly, and I walked the fish back out to the trough and the fish kicked extremely strong and healthy... The fish swam off out of sight in seconds. I almost collapsed in the water. I could not believe I caught a grouper this size off Anglins Pier, especially on 40 lb mono. From what I have heard, this is something that has not been accomplished since the days of the old wooden structure. I have been awake for almost 30 hours now and I am still wired.”

”Thanks goes out to everyone on the pier this morning. You guys helped me out with some much needed support. (Sorry if I missed anyone or misspelled your names) Rijkard, Tom Roofer, Dave and I am sure I have missed a few…Special thanks to Philly and Amos for doin’ battle with that beast in the water. I owe you guys one, and to Tom again for providing me with pictures. The one day I leave my camera home I get this beast.”

“This was truly the catch of a lifetime for me.”

Pretty cool...I love diving with these guys off Jupiter and WPB. I know they can't be taken legally but I don't know how to feel about this story even though the fish was released.

Thanks for the article.

-J.-

P.S. I'm not against fishing or spearfishing btw.

Cool story Howard,
Hope the fish made it even if it swam off that was some bit of stress on it,
I would rather dive with them!
so cool to see them hide in the wrecks & hear them thump gills, or see them sit just out of sight near the rock piles off wrecks as divers splash around their homes!

Brad

I was just amazed that this fish was so close in (by the pier) - I've seen them on wrecks and in deeper waters, but not around here - on a shore dive

johnny_bravo:
Pretty cool...I love diving with these guys off Jupiter and WPB. I know they can't be taken legally but I don't know how to feel about this story even though the fish was released.

Thanks for the article.

-J.-

I think a limited fishery for jewfish will open up in the Gulf within a few years. In the Gulf, the number of blacks and gags is in sharp decline because the jewfish eat them and there's no fishing pressure to help balance the population.

I dove the Fantastico off Fort Myers two years ago with at least 50 jewfish on a 200' wreck and didn't see any other grouper species present.

Agreed they are pretty common in the Gulf but not so common in the east coast.

-J.-

howarde:
I was just amazed that this fish was so close in (by the pier) - I've seen them on wrecks and in deeper waters, but not around here - on a shore dive

There was a jewfish that was spotted at the Alabama Point Jetties regularly earlier last year for quite a few months. Those particular jetties maxed at ~35'. There was another large jewfish that I came across on the Pensacola Beach Reef, a site in under 20' of water. Aparently, they are no strangers to shallow water.

I don't think it'll take a couple of years, I think sooner. Florida's stance on this is that there needs to be a limited harvest in the gulf. I can't wait.

deepstops:
I think a limited fishery for jewfish will open up in the Gulf within a few years. In the Gulf, the number of blacks and gags is in sharp decline because the jewfish eat them and there's no fishing pressure to help balance the population.

I dove the Fantastico off Fort Myers two years ago with at least 50 jewfish on a 200' wreck and didn't see any other grouper species present.

Oh well, there goes any hope (not that there was much chance to begin with) that the pier could co-exist with divers!

Scuba_Jenny:
Oh well, there goes any hope (not that there was much chance to begin with) that the pier could co-exist with divers!
:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom