Gulftex / photon torpedo GREAT customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have always been a big fan of the Gulftex photon torpedo lghts. I have carried two of the originals for years now. Last Sunday I ordered two LED upgrade modules and new o-rings. Today I got an e-mail apoligizing for the "delay" due to to uncontrollable circumstances. They went on to say that my stuff was shipping on Thursday, and by way of apology I received a paypal refund of my shipping charges!
I was blown away by this. I guess nowadays I have just gotten used to crappy service, although shipping on thursday hardly qualifies as a "delay" in my book. Certainly not a big enough one, that I would expect an internet vedor to issue a refund with a note of apology. I thought it was nice to see good ole fashioned customer service and pride in your product and service still exists!

Based on this one experience they now have a customer for life, and I will reccomend their products to anyone looking for quality back-up lights or other items they offer.

Last edited:
Well I can't speak for their customer service, but their lights are top notch. I can't wait for my LED upgrade!

While I wish mine used the newer high-output LEDs, there's no denying that the Chuck makes a helluva light. It's going to be a long time before I take a dive with at least one PT strapped to my shoulder. I have a pair for my wife as well. When you absolutely need to trust your light, the PT comes through!

While I wish mine used the newer high-output LEDs, there's no denying that the Chuck makes a helluva light. It's going to be a long time before I take a dive with at least one PT strapped to my shoulder. I have a pair for my wife as well. When you absolutely need to trust your light, the PT comes through!

At around $100 to upgrade BOTH lights to LED, I thought it was worth it. With the newer o-rings too, you basically got brand-new lights that would normally cost $300 for a pair. I thought that was really reasonable. If they weren't so much brighter I probably wouldn't do it; but diving up here in the PNW you can really use all the penetrating power you can get- especially when signalling.

At around $100 to upgrade BOTH lights to LED, I thought it was worth it. With the newer o-rings too, you basically got brand-new lights that would normally cost $300 for a pair. I thought that was really reasonable. If they weren't so much brighter I probably wouldn't do it; but diving up here in the PNW you can really use all the penetrating power you can get- especially when signalling.

Perhaps I misspoke... I actually own 3 LED Photon Torpedos (and one halogen that rarely gets used). All are Gultex LEDs, not the UK LED module upgrades. I do intend to upgrade the one halogen light to the new UK modules, which used the improved, higher-output LED, at some point.

My point, however, is that there are MUCH higher-output LEDs on the market now (CREE, P7, etc) than the original Gultex modules used, or even than the "new" UK modules use. It would be very cool if they could be used.

I have the UK unit sitting beside me right now bought from Bright Guys, and I can't it to work. its essentially a drop in unit. But mine has failed me. I need help. I will contact Bright Guys next week. But its suppose to be one awesome upgrade. Will see. Thats why I only bought one module..

I have the UK unit sitting beside me right now bought from Bright Guys, and I can't it to work. its essentially a drop in unit. But mine has failed me. I need help. I will contact Bright Guys next week. But its suppose to be one awesome upgrade. Will see. Thats why I only bought one module..

You know how to install it, right?

Did you intall the batteries backwards the plus end should go in first.

You know how to install it, right?

I thought I did....

Did you install the batteries backwards the plus end should go in first.

No, thats what I didn't do!!! I don't even want to embarrass myself further. Plug in play that simple. Just reverse the batteries. Well compared to my other non LED. Its not even in the same ballpark. I will be doing the same on my other PT, What a difference it makes. It really blows the bulb out. My tired but well crafted Photon Torpedoes get new and much improved light. I wish I found this 10 hours ago. Was going to dive the Graveyard in Lake Jocassee 3pm. I was bummed all day til now. Maybe I can get another chance soon. Thanks fellas. :cool3:

I hope you didn't blow off a dive because a back up light (that you most likely won't need) wasn't at "optimum" brightness :confused:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom