Gue utd dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, IMO the correct and more dignified term is UDT --"Unified Dive Team"-- a term I first heard used by John Walker and Michael Kane, circa year 2000 and saw before in the old rec.scuba newsgroups.

I first saw "Unified Team" used in print in the article Evolution of DIR Principles by JJ.

Extract...

"As a well-defined, standardized system, DIR was designed to maximize efficiency across multiple environments in order to promote safety and fun. Among its key principles are:

Unified Team

Central to the DIR diving system is the concept of a unified team. This system pairs divers of similar capacity within an environment that they are properly prepared for. Teams of individually capable divers produce a level of safety and efficiency beyond what is capable while diving independently."

JJ also wrote about "Unified Team" as part of the "DIR System" in his book Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving (pages 40-42).

Great! Call yourself an "UT" Member of GUE, rather than a UTD and all its other baggage connotations [note to Lynne: C'mon Doc, you saw that coming . . .! Why didn't you suggest a better more favorable sounding acronym to the DMxer's than UTD?:rofl3: :mooner:]

Seriously though and FYI, former Fundies Instructor John Walker was teaching from similar viewgraphs in which the term "Unified Team" and "Unified Dive Team" were commonly & interchangeably used, even before and as JJ's book was being published. The credit for coining the concept of the Unified Dive Team can easily go to either or both JJ and a certain former GUE Training Director.

Good Lord, did you dig up that bit of ancient history on your own or did someone spoon feed it to you? :lotsalove:

I are good at intraweb.

Blister

I bet that the marines came up with the concept of "unified team" long before the invention of scuba (and they're just ripping off the principles underlying ancient greek hoplite formations who were ripping off previous developments in military teamwork going back to sumerian phalanx-like formations in 2450 BC).

Why are we arguing over who "came up" with this concept? UTD is clearly just a relabeling in order to distinguish it from DIR/GUE and attempt to separate the principles from the DIR baggage... Time will tell if its successful or not....

I bet that the marines came up with the concept of "unified team" long before the invention of scuba (and they're just ripping off the principles underlying ancient greek hoplite formations who were ripping off previous developments in military teamwork going back to sumerian phalanx-like formations in 2450 BC).

Why are we arguing over who "came up" with this concept? UTD is clearly just a relabeling in order to distinguish it from DIR/GUE and attempt to separate the principles from the DIR baggage... Time will tell if its successful or not....

"Baggage? What ever do you mean?...............":wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom