GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who the f does that? I definitely do not.
But it seems to have some logic, you really only need full access to manifolded cylinders once you've bailed-out?

Im not trained in any of this just speculating but is there something wrong with having the manifold closed as a preventative measure on a CCR?

I guess a hypercapnic event breathing like a freight train, you may not want to be stressed and having to calmly open a manifold.

But it seems to have some logic, you really only need full access to manifolded cylinders once you've bailed-out?

Im not trained in any of this just speculating but is there something wrong with having the manifold closed as a preventative measure on a CCR?

I guess a hypercapnic event breathing like a freight train, you may not want to be stressed and having to calmly open a manifold.
Yes, on account of only having access to half of your available gas.

What is even going on here….

How about you've all your eggs in a single basket: diluent, wing inflation gas AND bailout, all out of a sort of twinset connected with a soft manifold.

The manifold isn't needed unless you're bailed out and you'd then turn on the manifold gas during your ascent. Also you can top off one side easier than topping off both sides, e.g. with a whip and bank cylinder.

There's more than your bailout and dil going on with lola tanks. You're getting dil, bailout, wing, and suit inflation from the 50s depending on how it's setup. My wife's setup is dil, bailout, wing, and suit from the 50s (unless she's diving trimix then we add a suit inflation from a dir-style bottle on the backplate). My setup dil and bailout are from the 50s, wing from the 50s, suit from a separate bottle attached to can just like the oxygen bottle. We also carry a little fitting for an emergency in case we lose wing (or suit depending on the setup being used) inflation gas. I've never had to use it. It allows you to use a female QC6 to attach to an inflator or drysuit.
How about you've all your eggs in a single basket: diluent, wing inflation gas AND bailout, all out of a sort of twinset connected with a soft manifold.

The manifold isn't needed unless you're bailed out and you'd then turn on the manifold gas during your ascent. Also you can top off one side easier than topping off both sides, e.g. with a whip and bank cylinder.
You do put your eggs in one basket somewhat, but it's a nonissue for most of my diving. For OW deep dives, I would separate wing and suit inflation since there's no hard bottom. How often do catastrophic failures in doubles occur that don't allow you to isolate and save some gas? Very rarely I would argue.

Filling tanks separately:
Recipe for disaster.
Anyone who chooses to top off one bottle with the isolator closed in open circuit or closed circuit manifolded doubles is either poorly educated or super lazy. If that person can't figure out the reasons why it's a bad idea, they get extra darwin points.
DO NOT CONSIDER THAT (to those who have no ccr experience and trying to learn here).

@rjack321 in particular, I was in question about do you worry about yourself needing bailout after or during your donation ? I was wondering albeit less obvious if that falls under the plan for one catastrophic failure train of thought. That it would be so highly unlikely you have to donate and then need it yourself.
How many "majors" do you plan for? In OC tech diving you plan for one major failure not 2+

CCR diving is no different in that respect.
My CCR fails, I have BO = 1 major
Buddy CCR fails, goes to his BO, burns through it or its inaccessible and uses my BO = 2 majors already
Buddy with failed CCR on my BO and my CCR failing = 3 majors.

Somedays are just your day to go.

If someone can’t reach their Lola valves they should not be diving that unit then. Only touching the valves in class is bs. It should be part of every predive plan as well as done anytime there could have been contact with the valves. Although gue divers believe in team diving, team diving doesn’t mean I don’t have to be able to touch my valves cause I have a buddy to do it. If you can’t shut down valves in any configuration, you’re a liability to your teammate. I will say that closing the oxygen valve with the gue JJ style setup can be challenging. Lola valves no. That means your setup isn’t properly set up for you. Many things to fix that such as moving tanks up or down or harness adjustments.

There's no need to be in shoulder pain after every single dive.

And you can just take the rig half way off if you really need eyes on it, to figure out where/why it's leaking, or to play hokey pokey with the valves.

Personally, I'd rather have 2 isolated 50's with regular plugged modular valves. Not Lola's. And/or sling another tank, if large bailouts are such a necessity.

And you can just take the rig half way off if you really need eyes on it, t
That's a great idea. Lets slip our rig half off so we can figure things out while either hanging at a stop or sitting in a cave. This is a technical rebreather setup. You have teammates to figure stuff out you can't see. But either way you NEED to be able to manipulate your valves yourself without ripping off the unit. That's just dumb as s--t. I stand by my statement. If you can't reach your valves fully in ANY setup, you are a liability to the team and anyone else in the water with you and you should not be in that setup.

No. But I can take my doubles off and ride the valves underwater no problem.

Or get rid of the manifold. What's the deal with Lola valves anyways? Is there a real need to having the 50's piped together?

Can you reach your o2 and inflation valves, when those bottles are mounted valve up?

Choptima is starting to look like a better option. Or a standard BM rebreather, with slung bailout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom