GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post vid. Gotta be in a drysuit.

So far we have a guy who had to wrap himself around a pipe to stop from corking.
You could show us peons how it's done.

Have not kept up with this thread. However, did a week of diving recently with a GUE diver with the JJ in GUE configuration. This was the first time I had seen the JJ GUE configuration in the wild and I got to say what an abomination!!

First off, the thing is a two person lift wherever you have to move it once assembled, in and out of the truck in and out of the boat, on and off the bench, in and out of the rinse tub. While we were using DPV's most of the time the GUE diver admitted that it was a bit of a struggle to swim the thing without a DPV. He was a pretty fit bloke, did a lot of triathlon, he noted he needed to undertake a leg strengthening routine to handle the unit.

Then there was the inability to get the lola valves (he had brought his own, but the threads were not compatible with the 7L tanks at the dive centre) and had to compromise by running the two 7L tanks independently.

All along I was thinking why f'ing bother, and was so glad I had my rEvo. The JJ is a mighty fine unit (I don't like the lid arrangement and the **** that accumulates in the top of it), however, configuring GUE style is just......

Is there a reason you're rig can't?

Not my vid. We did this in open water training. Easy breezy.
If you watched that video and you saw it as a good thing that you think others should emulate, you are really going to struggle with a choptima. A backmount unit will be a much easier learning curve as you can start everything over from scratch.
The Choptima is a great unit for a skilled OC diver that has very good buoyancy. If your OC skills weren't there to start with, adding an additional source of buoyancy to the mix will not help things.

Lmao some real pearls on this thread.

And when you think this discussion revolves around the top end of diver education level, not open water entry level divers, not even entry level technical diving. It’s scary.

First off, the thing is a two person lift wherever you have to move it once assembled, in and out of the truck in and out of the boat, on and off the bench, in and out of the rinse tub. While we were using DPV's most of the time the GUE diver admitted that it was a bit of a struggle to swim the thing without a DPV. He was a pretty fit bloke, did a lot of triathlon, he noted he needed to undertake a leg strengthening routine to handle the unit.

I'm not a CCR diver, but my experiences don't track. I regularly dive in mixed teams with GUE-configured JJ divers at least 1-2 times a month, and the divers I've seen are fine with handling/moving their units around. Most of the time, they are moving the units from their vehicles to their work table/ truck tailgates by sliding themselves into the harness and walking it over. Heck, one guy even arrives with his store in the back seat of a sedan, grabs it, and moves it to his work table.

Further, these are shore dives, and the entries are anything but flat - these divers seem to be okay walking up and down hills or stairs. No issues are swimming around, either.

The divers I refer to are "fit" but a far cry from Triathalon athletes. Just my experiences.

I'm not a CCR diver, but my experiences don't track. I regularly dive in mixed teams with GUE-configured JJ divers at least 1-2 times a month, and the divers I've seen are fine with handling/moving their units around. Most of the time, they are moving the units from their vehicles to their work table/ truck tailgates by sliding themselves into the harness and walking it over. Heck, one guy even arrives with his store in the back seat of a sedan, grabs it, and moves it to his work table.

Further, these are shore dives, and the entries are anything but flat - these divers seem to be okay walking up and down hills or stairs. No issues are swimming around, either.

The divers I refer to are "fit" but a far cry from Triathalon athletes. Just my experiences.
Having picked one up a few days ago and walked around with it, it didn't really feel much heavier than double 108s. I'm not a calibrated scale but I wasn't shocked by the weight.

Having picked one up a few days ago and walked around with it, it didn't really feel much heavier than double 108s. I'm not a calibrated scale but I wasn't shocked by the weight.
It isn’t, it’s all pros x cons. My fathom set up with 3lt bottles is certainly lighter than when set up the GUE-JJ configuration, either with LP50s or AL40s. But the boat diving convenience of the GUE-JJ configuration far outweights the gain in “lightness” of the 3lt configuration for me.
All I have to carry are the deco bottles and it dives pretty much like doubles. Donning the gear and jumping in the water is much easier, and getting out is just like doubles.

Though not double 108’s, I've slithered outa my double 100’s and into someone's GUE rigged JJ after a dive and just for kicks walked around for quick moment - I don't recall anything notable like “oh sh*t, this thing is heavy”.

Though not double 108’s, I've slithered outa my double 100’s and into someone's GUE rigged JJ after a dive and just for kicks walked around for quick moment - I don't recall anything notable like “oh sh*t, this thing is heavy”.
Then put the GUE JJJJ down and try a 'normal' backmount rebreather to see the light!

Admittedly this is a moot argument as a 'normal' backmount rebreather isn't that light; 45kg/100lbs vs 65kg/143lbs. But you will notice the difference when lifting it from the floor to the car or bench.

For me it's always been about the use of a 3 litre diluent which is swapped over in a trice and is small enough to stash under the bench, and cheap enough to have several (deep, medium deep, shallow).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom