GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do I understand correctly that in the emergency scenario where one diver has to donate gas to another, they have to remove the loop in order to donate the long hose?

Not looking to start a fight between GUE rebreather divers and the rest. Just want to understand the configuration better, as JJ is a future option when I move to Europe.

Reactions: OTF
Yes. Easier with a BOV, not that hard with a DSV. That said, it assumes non-mixed teams and it would take either bad gas or three failures to warrant donation to a teammate. Unclip, close, pass, open. RB80, racked BM rebreather, typical sidewinder, all the same. At first failure, you remove the long hose from under your loop and make it readily donatable.

Edit: when I dive with mixed teams, long hose stays over the loop.

Do I understand correctly that in the emergency scenario where one diver has to donate gas to another, they have to remove the loop in order to donate the long hose?

Not looking to start a fight between GUE rebreather divers and the rest. Just want to understand the configuration better, as JJ is a future option when I move to Europe.
As @grantctobin said, yes though I have no real strong preference with DSV or BOV. Close loop, throw loop over head, switch to long hose to purge it and then donate. If on a BOV then pull loop back down and start breathing, if on DSV then I switch to the necklace until everyone is stable then put the loop back in.
The key is that GUE would never condone mixed team diving in that configuration so for you to actually have to share gas it's going to take a hot minute and the extra time needed to make the gas switch is pretty negligible since you should never be blindsided by an OOA when diving with other breather divers.
Diving in mixed teams is different where you would have to donate rapidly and I don't really love doing that but will put the long hose over the loop if diving in the rack. On my SMCCR it goes in "front" of the loop hoses since they come up from the left.

If I dive All-ccr, long hose stays under loop until someone bails. Once bailed non-fixable/or til they are fixed, the long hose stays over the loop.

If mixed team, I will keep the longhose over the loop out of curtesy. It just makes sense... right.

This is one of the things that made me gasp and stretch my eyes when doing GUE CCR1. Having done GUE OC courses where you're taught that the long hose is absolutely sacred and nothing must impede it, to the point where the entire configuration is designed around keeping the long hose instantly available, and then to go to the GUE CCR course and get told "haha! that only counts for open circuit! On a rebreather it's perfectly acceptable to have it stashed away" is bizarre. The stuff they then tell you about "if you're diving a rebreather you won't be with divers who will need air immediately so it's all OK!" seemed to me to just be ludicrous. Obviously everyone's free to dive the rig that they choose but the massive dissonance between the GUE OC philosophy and the CCR philosophy is hugely obvious to anyone who's not completely swallowed the kool-aid.

The key is that GUE would never condone mixed team diving in that configuration
Totally not what I was told on my GUE CCR1 course: I was told that the GUE CCR rig was specifically designed to allow mixed team diving. On top of that of course it ignores the possibility of encountering divers who are not from your team who might need gas, which is quite likely on some popular wrecks.

As discussed in this thread: Gag Strap Setup Options?, I dive closed-circuit with a gag strap.

I don't see myself coming off a loop with a gag strap unless my life depends upon it, so I see a GUE configuration as basically a no go for me. Am I missing something?

As discussed in this thread: Gag Strap Setup Options?, I dive closed-circuit with a gag strap.

I don't see myself coming off a loop with a gag strap unless my life depends upon it, so I see a GUE configuration as basically a no go for me. Am I missing something?
…missing that it’s not that difficult to remove and replace a gag strap BOV? Either one strap over the other or mask under the hood and gag above.

Reach to the bailout stage on your left, pull out the bailout hose, shove regulator into the face of the person who’s run out of gas/lost their bailout. Then unclip the stage and pass it to the person who's taken your bailout.

…missing that it’s not that difficult to remove and replace a gag strap BOV? Either one strap over the other or mask under the hood and gag above.
Under ideal situations, not a big deal. Under a stressful condition, higher gas density, sounds like an additional source of failure.

Unless absolutely necessary, adding failure points should be avoided.

Back
Top Bottom