GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. But I can take my doubles off and ride the valves underwater no problem.

Or get rid of the manifold. What's the deal with Lola valves anyways? Is there a real need to having the 50's piped together?

Can you reach your o2 and inflation valves, when those bottles are mounted valve up?

Choptima is starting to look like a better option. Or a standard BM rebreather, with slung bailout.

You can certainly dive independent 50's as your backmounted "dil-out". It's been done.

I can reach every single one of my valves with room to spare currently.

I can also reach them when they're just 3l valves up. No more challenging than regular doubles.

I don't think the dir style configuration is your cup, if you denounce it's basis of existence in this way. Nearly a year since the last reply unless I missed something?!

Regular backmounted units with off board bailout or Dil out are no less capable. It's just a matter of diving with like minded individuals.

Choptima? Front mounted units are trending. I can't say anything bad about their operation I've seen a handfull on the boat in the last couple years.

Thanks.

I think a standard setup might be best for me. Sling a bailout instead of all that weight on my back.

Thanks.

I think a standard setup might be best for me. Sling a bailout instead of all that weight on my back.
the LOLA 50s and the JJ are pretty heavy - about as much as 2x 130s. And definitely not modular, if you can't get up the ladder with them on there's not many alternative ways to get back aboard.

Interesting discussion.... although not a GUE configuration and I hope I'm not derailing, but..... I'm curious how people are running their Choptima rigs? I have two hoses, one necklaced (for me) and the long-hose I've been carrying in one of two ways:

1. Same as OC, tucked in the right hip, hose around the neck and clipped to right chest D-ring

This allows for relatively quick donate, but I would have to get off the loop to deploy completely, long-hose is underneath the unit and care must be taken when donning to ensure the hose isn't trapped

2. From the right post, down around the Choptima (under O2 bottle), "over the loop" (around my neck) clipped off to right chest D-ring

Same situation, can donate quickly, don't have to get off the loop, but to deploy the complete hose I have to unwrap it - and what I don't like is when I remove/replace the unit the hose routing is shot

3. I don't do this, but have seen it done: long-hose snaked/bungeed around the right tank and clipped off to the right chest D-ring.

Very fast to deploy, pretty simple solution, BUT... you do an S-drill (or snag the hose) and there's no way to self-stow.

Would love to hear some thoughts/opinions.
I know this is off topic, but I'm looking at getting a Choptima soon, so I have to ask - with option 1, why do you need to go off the loop to donate? It seems like you would be able to free the long hose by unclipping the two lower bolt snaps.

I know this is off topic, but I'm looking at getting a Choptima soon, so I have to ask - with option 1, why do you need to go off the loop to donate? It seems like you would be able to free the long hose by unclipping the two lower bolt snaps.
Because the long hose is routed like on doubles, down your right side, under the can light, across the chest, behind the neck to your mouth. If you put it over the JJ's loop it's a (big) mess. So it goes under unless diving in a mixed team with OC people who are much more likely to need donating to than another CCR diver with their own BO to use up first.

You don’t have to leave the loop on a chop to donate, I’m not sure how they’re routing there hose but I I go down my right side, under the Chop’s O2 bottle, around my neck and clipped to right D. The only difference is the long hose is retained by the bottom of the chop instead of whatever is on my right hip.

No. But I can take my doubles off and ride the valves underwater no problem.

Or get rid of the manifold. What's the deal with Lola valves anyways? Is there a real need to having the 50's piped together?

Can you reach your o2 and inflation valves, when those bottles are mounted valve up?

Choptima is starting to look like a better option. Or a standard BM rebreather, with slung bailout.
Please post a video of you taking your doubles off underwater. Make sure your drysuit is on and you don’t destroy the vis.

We’ll all be waiting with bated breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom