GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive had a bit of "uhh..." About this. Assuming I'm any appreciable distance from the surface and I've got one bottom bailout with one regulator on it, that seems to not be equitable on my own behalf. Should I not worry about my own necessity for open circuit bailout?

I put 50's on my p2 and dive it just as a gue configuration would be, with one exception me keeping a DIL mav. But I did modify my adv to be manually operated lol. View attachment 767285View attachment 767285
View attachment 767288
That's an interesting setup. Does the O2 bottle on the side throw you off balance at all?

Ive had a bit of "uhh..." About this. Assuming I'm any appreciable distance from the surface and I've got one bottom bailout with one regulator on it, that seems to not be equitable on my own behalf. Should I not worry about my own necessity for open circuit bailout?

I put 50's on my p2 and dive it just as a gue configuration would be, with one exception me keeping a DIL mav. But I did modify my adv to be manually operated lol. View attachment 767285View attachment 767285
View attachment 767288

How many diluent bottles do you own? I've three diluent bottles which vary in mix according to the dives I'm doing. Means that if away for a weekend can switch to different mixes.

Also have 3 bailout cylinder sets (total 5 cylinders) for the different depths: <30m/100ft, <50m/165ft, <75m/250ft. As these are all for bailout only, they last years and only need the very occasional air-top to replace the test breaths.

The O2 doesn't make me feel off balance at all.

I have 1 set of Dil for my current dive rating. I have about 12 hours on this set up.

View attachment 767288
I'd get that flexible manifold hidden away somewhere so that it's less likely to be damaged. On a GUE rigged JJ it's routed down behind the backplate IIRC. One of the aspects of the GUE rig that fits particularly well with the DIR philosophy is adding the LOLA manifold, thereby introducing a single unnecessary point of failure that could cause you to lose both your bailout and your dil.

I'd get that flexible manifold hidden away somewhere so that it's less likely to be damaged. On a GUE rigged JJ it's routed down behind the backplate IIRC. One of the aspects of the GUE rig that fits particularly well with the DIR philosophy is adding the LOLA manifold, thereby introducing a single unnecessary point of failure that could cause you to lose both your bailout and your dil.
I agree with running the manifold across the other side of the can vs. the back side so it doesn't get stuck on things but what single point of failure does the lola manifold have?

The Lola is on dual isolators. If it leaks, close those and you’re golden.

I am not a bottle passer (in general there might be a unique situation which demands it however), I have a long hose on my deeper BO so we are going up together just like if we were both on OC in the first place.

Are you concerned about not having BO for yourself after donating to someone on either OC or CCR in desperation?

I am not a bottle passer (in general there might be a unique situation which demands it however), I have a long hose on my deeper BO so we are going up together just like if we were both on OC in the first place.

Are you concerned about not having BO for yourself after donating to someone on either OC or CCR in desperation?

@rjack321 in particular, I was in question about do you worry about yourself needing bailout after or during your donation ? I was wondering albeit less obvious if that falls under the plan for one catastrophic failure train of thought. That it would be so highly unlikely you have to donate and then need it yourself.

The flexible part of the Lola Mani has been addressed for a while it's on the other side already. Happens to be the only pics I have of the rig. I don't dive with the cover for the p2 since it's so fragile.

The Lola is on dual isolators. If it leaks, close those and you’re golden.
Yes... of course not everyone diving one of those rigs can actually reach the valves, which are harder to get to than the valves on a manifolded twinset. As GUE diver said to me "You only have to reach them during the course".

Does anyone know how long you've got before you lose all your gas if a LOLA manifold ruptures? I know that with a normal HP hose you've got ages but obviously the manifold has a much larger bore. Has anyone tested it?

There are good alternatives to Lolas or even flexible hoses.

1675327714146.png

As GUE diver said to me "You only have to reach them during the course".
Reaching the valves is part of the pre-dive sequence, so you should "train" it with every dive ;-)
Yes, it is harder than with a "normal" double, but it is doable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom