GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion.... although not a GUE configuration and I hope I'm not derailing, but..... I'm curious how people are running their Choptima rigs? I have two hoses, one necklaced (for me) and the long-hose I've been carrying in one of two ways:

1. Same as OC, tucked in the right hip, hose around the neck and clipped to right chest D-ring

This allows for relatively quick donate, but I would have to get off the loop to deploy completely, long-hose is underneath the unit and care must be taken when donning to ensure the hose isn't trapped

2. From the right post, down around the Choptima (under O2 bottle), "over the loop" (around my neck) clipped off to right chest D-ring

Same situation, can donate quickly, don't have to get off the loop, but to deploy the complete hose I have to unwrap it - and what I don't like is when I remove/replace the unit the hose routing is shot

3. I don't do this, but have seen it done: long-hose snaked/bungeed around the right tank and clipped off to the right chest D-ring.

Very fast to deploy, pretty simple solution, BUT... you do an S-drill (or snag the hose) and there's no way to self-stow.

Would love to hear some thoughts/opinions.

So from a relatively new Choppy diver - I am normally going with option 2, as that way hose is completely clean off Choppy meaning whoever pulls it will not rip the air freshener off me. But then I do not dive caves hence removing Choppy underwater is rather not a thing unless in some weird situation/emergency.

I never really taught about it before, and i'm in the water with people in full gue configs all the time.
Most rebreather courses teach never to go back on a loop after you bailout, so how does gue deal with going back on the loop after you donate your long hose?
Did they not explain where and how you can access their BO? I don't dive CCR with my GUE friends very often but they do always tell me if they are over or under the loop. I don't think any of them use gag straps, that hasn't really resonanated for the GUE CCR crowd around here. They are about 50/50 on BOV vs DSV locally. As far as I know I am one of a very small number of gag strap users in Puget Sound.

I don't dive backmounted 50s/7s but I still explain where my deep gas long hose BO reg is to everyone before splashing with them, whether they are OC or CCR.

…might want to ask what unit he’s on before sharing that advice. I’d be blown away if he’s not using standard sidemount regs + a diluent feed.

Correct.

Yes Im a bit of a beginner on the Chop and noticed this for the first time on my last dive, when I was diving with someone on OC. I offered them my bail-out to extend their dive and had inadvertedly clipped the chop on top of my long hose. I didn't pick it up in the S drill because I just did a standard bubble and bail. So I guess practicing donating the long hose would be better for the CHop.

I've done the same, this thread is a good reminder to pause and do an S-drill/double check all is good.

On the sidewinder this is how I stow my (right sided) long hose . I have a small clip in the hose but that is more as a backup. There's a loop of bungie over the mouthpiece and the 2nd stage is clipped off to the right chest with a double ender. It's basically a reusable breakaway which also keeps the 2nd stage up tighter to your chest than the typical boltsnap on the furl/hose. You can put the mouthpiece in with the bungie loop on it if shakes out that way.

I don't think I fully understand how you hold the hose, do you happen to have a picture? Also, your statement about maybe not needing to stow it back in the same exact fashion is a really good point. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Hybrid solution.

So from a relatively new Choppy diver - I am normally going with option 2, as that way hose is completely clean off Choppy meaning whoever pulls it will not rip the air freshener off me. But then I do not dive caves hence removing Choppy underwater is rather not a thing unless in some weird situation/emergency.

True, I only took it off for training. It's a good skill to have (even to superman through a restriction for example). After unclipping the bottom clips I totally forgot about the long-hose and you can imagine what happened - I trapped it. D'oh! Thus the question. I guess the answer is just practice and be mindful.

I don't think I fully understand how you hold the hose, do you happen to have a picture? Also, your statement about maybe not needing to stow it back in the same exact fashion is a really good point. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Hybrid solution.
1675126174133.png

Apologies for the black bungie. It's basically around the 2nd stage as far up the mouthpiece as you can get. The venturi adjustment knob is your friend. You can clip the near end of the double ender to the chest d ring (common when you have bare hands) using the double ender as a handle. Or when in a bulky drysuit and dry gloves just use the distal/far end of the clip since hanging down an extra 5cm isnt a big deal when you're bundled up like crazy to begin with.

(...)

True, I only took it off for training. It's a good skill to have (even to superman through a restriction for example). After unclipping the bottom clips I totally forgot about the long-hose and you can imagine what happened - I trapped it. D'oh! Thus the question. I guess the answer is just practice and be mindful.

Well one can always find some sandy bottom and practice from time to time on some relaxed dive. One issue I also had with the long hose was it being trapped under the dil hose, as i kept wrapping it around before plugging in the dil ...bad habit that definitely took practice to get rid off xD

View attachment 767053

Apologies for the black bungie. It's basically around the 2nd stage as far up the mouthpiece as you can get. The venturi adjustment knob is your friend. You can clip the near end of the double ender to the chest d ring (common when you have bare hands) using the double ender as a handle. Or when in a bulky drysuit and dry gloves just use the distal/far end of the clip since hanging down an extra 5cm isnt a big deal when you're bundled up like crazy to begin with.

Got it, thanks for that picture - interesting solution. I was planning on using one of these cheapo silicone octo holders:
1675185669237.png

The part I didn't understand was your hose routing though. Would love to see that at some point. Thanks in advance! :)

Got it, thanks for that picture - interesting solution. I was planning on using one of these cheapo silicone octo holders:
View attachment 767119

The part I didn't understand was your hose routing though. Would love to see that at some point. Thanks in advance! :)
I have found most octo holders to be garbage. Hence Richard coming up with a DIY solution.

Reach to the bailout stage on your left, pull out the bailout hose, shove regulator into the face of the person who’s run out of gas/lost their bailout. Then unclip the stage and pass it to the person who's taken your bailout.
Ive had a bit of "uhh..." About this. Assuming I'm any appreciable distance from the surface and I've got one bottom bailout with one regulator on it, that seems to not be equitable on my own behalf. Should I not worry about my own necessity for open circuit bailout?

I put 50's on my p2 and dive it just as a gue configuration would be, with one exception me keeping a DIL mav. But I did modify my adv to be manually operated lol.
20221103_150106.jpg
20221103_150106.jpg

20221029_165102.jpg

Back
Top Bottom