GUE JJ configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My GUE CCR class taught long hose over loop when diving with OC divers, long hose under loop when diving with CCR only team. Moving the hose on top of loop when called for is quick and simple. Donating the hose, even if clipped off, should be fairly simple for tech divers.

As a side note, most GUE trained divers have been taught and had reinforced from early on to be aware of signs of trouble in other divers and if in doubt, donate. This can't eliminate but does help to minimize being shocked if someone were to actually go for your primary.

Not on a JJ, but I also go under the loop unless on a mixed team or around a lot of OC divers, then it's over the loop.

I haven't found a method that keeps the regs as streamlined and secure as having them around my neck. Seems they always drop loose or get in the way when they are on the tanks.

I haven't found a method that keeps the regs as streamlined and secure as having them around my neck. Seems they always drop loose or get in the way when they are on the tanks.
Sidemount your bailouts. The bungee will pull the cylinders tightly behind your arms and roll the cylinders up, putting the regulator hoses tight to your body. You’ll be nicely streamlined with the stages flat.

When deploying, the regulator and hose will be in the right place to grab.

Sidemount your bailouts. The bungee will pull the cylinders tightly behind your arms and roll the cylinders up, putting the regulator hoses tight to your body. You’ll be nicely streamlined with the stages flat.

When deploying, the regulator and hose will be in the right place to grab.
…might want to ask what unit he’s on before sharing that advice. I’d be blown away if he’s not using standard sidemount regs + a diluent feed.

Interesting discussion.... although not a GUE configuration and I hope I'm not derailing, but..... I'm curious how people are running their Choptima rigs? I have two hoses, one necklaced (for me) and the long-hose I've been carrying in one of two ways:

1. Same as OC, tucked in the right hip, hose around the neck and clipped to right chest D-ring

This allows for relatively quick donate, but I would have to get off the loop to deploy completely, long-hose is underneath the unit and care must be taken when donning to ensure the hose isn't trapped

2. From the right post, down around the Choptima (under O2 bottle), "over the loop" (around my neck) clipped off to right chest D-ring

Same situation, can donate quickly, don't have to get off the loop, but to deploy the complete hose I have to unwrap it - and what I don't like is when I remove/replace the unit the hose routing is shot

3. I don't do this, but have seen it done: long-hose snaked/bungeed around the right tank and clipped off to the right chest D-ring.

Very fast to deploy, pretty simple solution, BUT... you do an S-drill (or snag the hose) and there's no way to self-stow.

Would love to hear some thoughts/opinions.

and what I don't like is when I remove/replace the unit the hose routing is shot
Yes Im a bit of a beginner on the Chop and noticed this for the first time on my last dive, when I was diving with someone on OC. I offered them my bail-out to extend their dive and had inadvertedly clipped the chop on top of my long hose. I didn't pick it up in the S drill because I just did a standard bubble and bail. So I guess practicing donating the long hose would be better for the CHop.

On the GUE JJ rigged with a gag strap and the long hose under loop. (This is the way I dive the revo) It may seem a little bit of an additional hassle - but removing the gag strap and then lifting the loop is what I practice. People get a touch quisical as to what Im doing during my S drill so I have to remeber to explain it to them prior to diving. But generally its 30 seconds worth of additional hassle and its good practice if you do wear a gag strap.

I remeber once practicing a bail out ascent wearing a gag strap and I ripped it off so quickly, my mask came off and I started ascending to the surface. Obviously this is fairly dangerous, so practice removing the gag strap.

Interesting discussion.... although not a GUE configuration and I hope I'm not derailing, but..... I'm curious how people are running their Choptima rigs? I have two hoses, one necklaced (for me) and the long-hose I've been carrying in one of two ways:

1. Same as OC, tucked in the right hip, hose around the neck and clipped to right chest D-ring

This allows for relatively quick donate, but I would have to get off the loop to deploy completely, long-hose is underneath the unit and care must be taken when donning to ensure the hose isn't trapped

2. From the right post, down around the Choptima (under O2 bottle), "over the loop" (around my neck) clipped off to right chest D-ring

Same situation, can donate quickly, don't have to get off the loop, but to deploy the complete hose I have to unwrap it - and what I don't like is when I remove/replace the unit the hose routing is shot

3. I don't do this, but have seen it done: long-hose snaked/bungeed around the right tank and clipped off to the right chest D-ring.

Very fast to deploy, pretty simple solution, BUT... you do an S-drill (or snag the hose) and there's no way to self-stow.

The point is you both live.

The initial donation is very fast. "Unwrapping" can be done at leisure (within reason).

Donating your bailout to another diver is extremely rare and the more complex the dive, the less likely it is that you'd need to donate as everyone will be carrying sufficient bailout. The need-gas-now event is likely to be extremely catastrophic or some monitoring issue and no bailout.

The exception may be when moving through the "recreational zone" where they don't carry bailout, but they do normally come with bailout buddies.

On the sidewinder this is how I stow my (right sided) long hose . I have a small clip in the hose but that is more as a backup. There's a loop of bungie over the mouthpiece and the 2nd stage is clipped off to the right chest with a double ender. It's basically a reusable breakaway which also keeps the 2nd stage up tighter to your chest than the typical boltsnap on the furl/hose. You can put the mouthpiece in with the bungie loop on it if shakes out that way.

If I deploy the long hose for an S-drill I will restuff it but its a pita.
If I end up deploying the long hose and not needing/using it, chances are I am not going waste time on the bottom restuffing it. I'll loop it over my neck (outside the ccr loop) and right chest clip it to stow for the ascent/remainder of the dive.

I never really taught about it before, and i'm in the water with people in full gue configs all the time.
Most rebreather courses teach never to go back on a loop after you bailout, so how does gue deal with going back on the loop after you donate your long hose?

I never really taught about it before, and i'm in the water with people in full gue configs all the time.
Most rebreather courses teach never to go back on a loop after you bailout, so how does gue deal with going back on the loop after you donate your long hose?
Switching to an OC regulator to donate is not bailing out, going back on the loop is perfectly fine. No different than "sanity breaths" or one thing I have to do pretty regularly when kicking in high flow caves are "cool off" breaths where the loop gets way too hot to keep breathing so I switch to OC for a few breaths and do a dil flush to cool everything off both in my body and in the loop.

When you get into cave diving with a CCR much of the training is about how to safely get back on the loop. Doesn't really matter in open water where a direct ascent is easy enough, but in a cave an OC bailout even if you have enough gas can be really obnoxious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom