GUE fundamentals class and begining Tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDWreckdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there-

I am interested in taking a GUE fundamentals class and progressing to the Tech class. I was wondering if any of you have taken either of these classes and what was your opinion of them?

I live in Maryland and I am not aware of a GUE instructor or class anywhere close to my location. I would most likely need to take a trip to Highland Springs, Florida to make it happen. So before committing to that adventure and $ I wanted to get some expert opinions-you guys!

Just a little background on me, I have been wreck diving and spear fishing for about 8 years, primarily in MD, VA, and NC. I am about two weeks out from finishing my PADI DM and just starting my TDI Adv nitrox/deco class.

I thought that learning the GUE fundamentals would be a natural progression with my current training and diving style. Ultimately, I hope that this training would push me to be a more knowledgeable and focused diver.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not all about getting a card. Honestly, I could care less...I just want to become better at what I do. If I decide to pursue GUE or stay on the TDI route it will most likely happen next year after I get a year of deco under my belt.

I am open to any thoughts. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Welcome to the board. There are many GUE/tech divers here, however before asking questions you should do a search. Searching "fundamentals" or "tech" will give you more information then you will have time to read.

Good luck.

speak with doug mudry at extreme exposure in high springs. he's a fundamentals instructor and a really solid diver. I think he might be in mexico right now but you can call the shop and ask

Welcome to the board. There are many GUE/tech divers here, however before asking questions you should do a search. Searching "fundamentals" or "tech" will give you more information then you will have time to read.

Good luck.
Hey there,

Yeah, I joined GUE and downloaded the DIR basics PDF and began reading that. I figured that would be a good place to start. I hear you on doing the research though. Thanks!

speak with doug mudry at extreme exposure in high springs. he's a fundamentals instructor and a really solid diver. I think he might be in mexico right now but you can call the shop and ask
Will do, thank you for the gouge.

Hey there-

I am interested in taking a GUE fundamentals class and progressing to the Tech class.
I live in Maryland and I am not aware of a GUE instructor or class anywhere close to my location. I would most likely need to take a trip to Highland Springs, Florida to make it happen. QUOTE]

Aren't Allentown PA and Bob Sherwood closer to Maryland than FL?

Hey there-

I am interested in taking a GUE fundamentals class and progressing to the Tech class. I was wondering if any of you have taken either of these classes and what was your opinion of them?

I live in Maryland and I am not aware of a GUE instructor or class anywhere close to my location. I would most likely need to take a trip to Highland Springs, Florida to make it happen. So before committing to that adventure and $ I wanted to get some expert opinions-you guys!

Just a little background on me, I have been wreck diving and spear fishing for about 8 years, primarily in MD, VA, and NC. I am about two weeks out from finishing my PADI DM and just starting my TDI Adv nitrox/deco class.

I thought that learning the GUE fundamentals would be a natural progression with my current training and diving style. Ultimately, I hope that this training would push me to be a more knowledgeable and focused diver.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not all about getting a card. Honestly, I could care less...I just want to become better at what I do. If I decide to pursue GUE or stay on the TDI route it will most likely happen next year after I get a year of deco under my belt.

I am open to any thoughts. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Well, you gave all the right reasons and attitude about taking the class ... so perhaps that's the right path for you.

I took Fundamentals twice ... in 2004 and again in 2005. I didn't pass it the first time ... took it with a different instructor the second time and did fine. At the time I had just recently become a NAUI instructor, and was considering pursuing tech training. I felt that the class was an excellent investment ... well, to be honest, the first time around I felt that I'd wasted my time, but that was because I didn't meet my own expectations. The ensuing year I practiced the skills that were identified as weaknesses, and adjusted my mental expectations and had a great class the second time around. What I got out of the class was less about skills than it was about my mental approach to diving ... and those lessons served me well as I pursued further technical training.

GUE technical training can be very expensive, particularly if you don't have a local GUE instructor. It's almost a given that you will not pass a GUE Tech class on the first attempt, so the expense of either travelling to the instructor's location or bringing the instructor to you can add up once you start getting into re-eval situations. You have to balance what you want to get from the class against the cost of what it's going to take to get it ... and balance that against what other local options are available.

I chose a NAUI Tech path because we have several excellent NAUI Tech instructors locally ... and the considerations of cost and access outweighed the potential advantages of GUE training. Many of my diving friends decided otherwise, and either travelled or paid instructor expenses to conduct a GUE class locally. It's really up to you to decide which is more important ... and ultimately what you're looking to get from the training.

I will say that exposure to GUE training has helped shape my personal outlook toward diving, as well as toward how I teach diving. In that respect, the benefits of the class go far beyond the actual skills or dive planning you will be taught. They go right to the core of how you think about diving. In that respect, it's well worth the effort and expense ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Course Description: GUE Primer
Date: May 14, 2011 - May 15, 2011
Instructor: Bob Sherwood
Applied/Registered: 2/1 (Please contact the instructor to verify any empty spots before paying the registration fee.)
Additional info: for information please call Bob @ 6077653942

This might be useful, maybe not, but it's only a couple of hours from Maryland and might save you some money and, more preciously, some time.

It's almost a given that you will not pass a GUE Tech class on the first attempt

Is that true on average? I know of people not passing on the first try, but not without extenuating circumstances. To be fair, I haven't asked all my current tech buddies how many times it took, but it would surprise me if more don't pass than pass (first try).

-Marc... has 'not passed' a tech class :wink:

Back
Top Bottom