Looking to get into doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find a mentor.
Do you mean Mentor vs Instructor?

Incidentally the person that gave me a wee bit of mentoring on my last charter (my first bpw dive in the ocean), would likely be my TDI Intro to Tech Instructor.

Another thing to consider with doubles is getting the right tanks for your body size. I bought a set of LP98's, started the course, and it was pointed out that my terrible trim(face-planting) was because the tanks were too short on my lanky 6'4" frame. I borrowed a set of al80s(with a tail weight) and trim instantly improved.
If possible, try as many different sets of tanks as you can.
Ah yeah that makes sense. I will probably wait a bit before buying tanks.

Makes one wonder how so many of us dove all these various configurations and types of dives back when there weren't any certifications for them. Get together with your mentor who knows how to use doubles, borrow some doubles, get in the pool, and figure it out. My first cylinder set were double 50s that were given to me by my neighbor back in the 70s. While you need to make a few adjustments in overall weighting and trim, once you get the isolation procedure down, you should be fine. I know, not a popular viewpoint but pushing certs for every little thing is ridiculous. If you need the cert for some dive boat requirement that's one thing but if you just want to dive them outside of the charter dive boat service, it's relatively easy.

I would also consider sidemount. It has advantages for many situations except entry from boat on rough sea

Do you mean Mentor vs Instructor?

Incidentally the person that gave me a wee bit of mentoring on my last charter (my first bpw dive in the ocean), would likely be my TDI Intro to Tech Instructor.
I mean a mentor to get you some experience before doing a course.
But if you have an instructor who is willing to be a mentor, even better.

Seconding the mentor route...I started with doubles earlier this year. A friend loaned me gear, and took me out and showed me how to set it up, why the regs are rigged the way they are (i.e., roll-offs!), how the manifold works, how to do an S-drill, etc. Then he let me hang onto it to get some practice dives in...10/10 would recommend that route, if you have someone willing to mentor you!

It used to be you'd find another tank and bolt it to the other and someone would say don't overstay

So then what happened to everybody

They were titled dumb, enrolling in the school of the you don't know what you don't know collective

and they have to pay for the privilege

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom