GUE Cave 2 - short class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We completed our GUE Cave 2 class last Friday.

I feel compelled to write up a short report since it was Scubaboard and the DIR forum that introduced me to GUE training and cave diving. (A moment of appreciation for Tim/Netmage who mailed me the first cave diving videos.)

So after all your inspiration and advice - In June 2010 (a couple of months after Fundies) I took the first timid steps into the spectacular Mexican caverns, met my incredible cave instructor Danny Riordan and fell in love with these beautiful underwater decorated cathedrals. By December of 2010, I was encouraged to take Cave 1 and surprisingly earned the privilege to start exploring caves beyond the supervision of our instructors.

This season, life afforded me the unique opportunity to spend some time immersed in cave diving. A cave 1 card restricts navigation decisions to no jumps, one T. After diving almost every Cave 1 dive in the region (over 140 C1 dives) - adventure beyond these limits inspired my curiosity.

A week of 12-14 hour days, long dives, a busted toe, a dive with way too many bottles attached (ok, just 2 :)), a couple of bruises and a lot of beautiful diving later – I am still in shock that our entire Cave 2 class just earned the trust and freedom to explore caves beyond Cave 1 limits :).

A huge thanks: to an unbelievably supportive and encouraging team of GUE instructors, mentors, classmates, friends and dive partners (who helped build the confidence and skill to take Cave 2) and to the incredibly patient and supportive GUE instructors (Chris and Fred) at Zero Gravity Dive shop down here in Mexico - whose ongoing guidance and advice has been invaluable to so many of us. A special well -earned thanks to my instructor Danny Riordan, who guided the timid, passionate and determined Fundies recreational diver that showed up for cavern tours – though the caverns, Cave 1 and into a full GUE Cave 2 diver ;-). I can not imagine a more talented instructor.

And last but certainly not least a huge thanks to my cave diving partner and mentor Lamont for all his ongoing patience with my 10,000 questions and for his underwater guidance & to all of you here on the DIR forum for your advice, friendship and support!

Again, I am overwhelmed with the support, knowledge, and extent of our global GUE network! It’s truly unbelievable!

Thanks DIR forum & GUE!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I have no doubt you had lots of support, but don't sell yourself short: You've worked darn hard to get there. Great Job!!

Henrik

Danny's gifted . . . I feel so lucky to have been able to train with him. And you come out of Danny's classes held to a higher standard than I think a lot of instructors hold their students. It pays off!

Congratulations on your class. Your cave diving world has just exploded . . . wait until you see Chan Hol, and Jailhouse, and the farther reaches of Grand Cenote, and Minotauro, and . . .

big congratulations, kathy! :)

knew you'd do fine kathy

still waiting on you to give florida caves a whirl. :wink:

Congratulations! I have no doubt you had lots of support, but don't sell yourself short: You've worked darn hard to get there. Great Job!!

Henrik
Thanks Henrick!

Your cave diving world has just exploded . . . wait until you see Chan Hol, and Jailhouse, and the farther reaches of Grand Cenote, and Minotauro, and . . .
I can't wait!

knew you'd do fine kathy

still waiting on you to give florida caves a whirl. :wink:
One of these days - I promise :)!

Congratulations! What training is next for our wonder girl?

Ha ha, thanks! Not thinking of more classes at the moment.
At some point I do need Helium - but that will have to wait till the piggy bank recovers a bit :wink:

Congratulations, Kathy. I'm so proud of you. :hugs:

It's been so much fun following your diving escapades whether it's SE Asia, west coast or Mexico. You are truly an inspiration!!

So what took you so long ? J/K :wink: Congrats Kathy...a well deserved accomplishment that you should be proud of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom