Group Trip - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got to see a nurse shark going to town at something buried at the base of a sponge last week. It was impressive, the debris exploded in a cloud, not much after the event.

Got to see a nurse shark going to town at something buried at the base of a sponge last week. It was impressive, the debris exploded in a cloud, not much after the event.
Back in January on a dive with 3P's we came across a nurse shark nosing around a sponge. I filmed for a little while but there was a guy behind me with a camera so I let loose so he could get a shot. When I turned back around I saw a huge cloud of debris too, I guess he got what he was looking for.

The difference when animals that are native to the reef destroy coral is that is how nature works. Everything has to have predator/prey relationships to stay in balance. A turtle or a nurse shark that takes out some coral is what is supposed to happen. Coral is an animal just like any other- it can't live and grow totally unchecked.

Lionfish (in the Atlantic) and divers are super harmful to the environment because they aren't supposed to be there.

I just came across a new one I have to try on my next visit that is a bit of a hike but like everything I've read and seen about it for a back-street, cheap, great authentic Mexican establishment crammed full of locals - Chilangos Huaraches for real Huartanches.

What are Huaraches? When I google it, I get shoe ads or an urban dictionary definition of "loose women".

It is also a word for sandals (foot wear).

Food in Mexico/Central America cracks me up. I had a dish in Panama that translated to "Meat old clothes" (Carne ropa vieja). It tasted much better than old clothes. Now, it's food associated with shoes.

The Urban Dictionary cracks me up more, though. Urban Dictionary: huaraches

Food in Mexico/Central America cracks me up. I had a dish in Panama that translated to "Meat old clothes" (Carne ropa vieja). It tasted much better than old clothes. Now, it's food associated with shoes.

The Urban Dictionary cracks me up more, though. Urban Dictionary: huaraches
Ropa vieja is Cuban, or maybe Cuban American, in origin. There is a place in Cozumel that does it pretty well.

We, as English speaking Americans, don't have a lot of room to talk. We eat hot dogs, but they aren't made of dogs, nor are they from Frankfurt. Neither are hamburgers from Hamburg, or french fries French. German Chocolate Cake is named for the the chocolate maker Samuel German, not the country it is not from (it's American as Dutch Apple Pie - which may or may not be Dutch). Sweetbreads are neither sweet nor bread.

Food names don't have to make sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom