Greenpeace None Too Happy with Mighty O Sinking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron:
...say in 8,000 years instead of, idono, say 10,000...which we will have long since seen our rise and fall on this planet.

What a defeatist attitude...:D ....come on....there will still be a lot of sunlight during the ice age. All we need are massive greenhouses. (isn't that weird, given the "greenhouse affect" is what's causing all our problems?) The ice age isn't going to happen overnight. We'll have plenty of time to manufacture a lot of plastics for our greenhouses inside of which we'll still be able to grow food, recycle water etc etc. Of course when it warms up again we'll have to figure out what to do with all the pcbs in all that plastic....

I'm all for the enviroment, but since greenpeace is widely know as one of the largest domestic terrorist groups, anything that pisses them off and makes thier day worse, I'm all for.

Knight1989:
I'm all for the enviroment, but since greenpeace is widely know as one of the largest domestic terrorist groups

well, i don't particulalry like their tactics, but how many World Trade Centers
has Greenpeace destroyed? How many suicide bombers have they sent into
Exxon Mobile's headquarters?

just saying ... the word "terrorist" may not be accurate to describe Greenpeace

this is the worst that their critics can come up when accusing
Greenpeace of "terrorism":

Greenpeace, Inc. and other non-exempt Greenpeace entities benefitting from these transfers have committed numerous acts of eco-terrorism. They have blockaded a U.S. naval base, broken into the central control building of a nuclear power station in England, overrun the Exxon Mobil corporate headquarters in Texas, and rammed a ship into the French sailboat competing in the 2003 America’s Cup, permanently damaging the vessel.

In April 2002, Greenpeace activists forcibly boarded a cargo ship in Florida carrying Brazilian wood. In connection with this incident, federal prosecutors obtained an indictment against Greenpeace this July for violating an 1872 law prohibiting the unauthorized boarding of “any vessel about to arrive at the place of her destination.” The trial in this case is scheduled for December in Miami.

http://www.taemag.com/issues/articleID.17751/article_detail.asp

where are the dead bodies? where are the explosions? where are the
crying family members?

BarryNL:
Yeah, ever see them terrorising those giant whaling ships with those little rubber dingys?

Yes, very daring and courageous. Have you also seen them intentionally ramming ships with theirs and bragging about the "can opener" they rigged in order to tear holes in the "target"?

I wonder how long it will take Greenpeace to figure out how much asbestos was on the Oriskany when it went down.

Flaky, failing electrical wiring caused 2 or 3 fires per week when I was on the Oriskany back in 1971/2. IIRC, that WWII vintage wiring was asbestos based, as was much of the lagging/insulation around pipes and on bulkheads.

We have to save all the fishies before the asbestos give them lung cancer!

Oh. Fish don't have lungs. Never mind.

Hank49:
Actually, if we could store other toxic waste in as secure of an element as plastic wire cover, meaning, sealing it from being released into the environment, it would be an achievement. But no, I never heard that pcbs were causing the melting of the ice caps.....you learn something every day....

Kwbyron:
hmm, well in response to Diverbuoy's global warming comment, the world is coming out of an ice age and co2(and temp) are rising as of a natural occurrence; although, the excess amount of CO2 being pumped into the air is speeding the process up. this will just cause the next Ice age to come sooner. The earth is this amazing, dynamic ecosystem... and will cope the best it can, then kill us off and get back to normal.
As for the Navy comment... some of the stories about what happens while out to see.... yeah. not good, a scrubbed down ship for an artificial reef is the least of concerns.

Well, it's somewhat of an achievement to have cause a tangent to this conversation by complete accident. Honestly my original thought was merely based in sarcasm. My point being, that very slow doesn't imply ignore it because that makes it safe. After my post H2Andy seems to provide stats indicating a magnitue of how 'glacially' slow a process we are really talking about. But I still think the point is that the Oriskany isn't the only contributor of toxins. However small it's personal contribution may be, like the melting of the polar ice caps, it's the accumulation of little things, poorly managed, that results in much larger scale and a far more catastrophic end game.

Anyone who thinks that humans are not having a severely adverse effect on the Earth's environment....say aye (as in I don't have a clue).

As to the "adverse effect" comment...
Personally, I think I have just as much right to live as the next animal. If I happen to eat that animal in the process, perhaps it should have evolved a faster way to get away, or a better way to kill me first. Sucks for them, but that's how it goes sometimes.

RikRaeder:
Anyone who thinks that humans are not having a severely adverse effect on the Earth's environment....say aye (as in I don't have a clue).

Wow, how myopic you are. We as human beings could release every poison held in containment, then detonated every nuclear weapon in existence. Earth would still be here. Plants would still be here. Insects and animals would still be here. Might even be a few humans left around too. The environment would change, adapt, and self cleanse as it has for millions of years. life would go on, even if in a different direction than before.

FD

Funny Greenpeace Story (Recent)

Greenpeace's fill-in-the-blank public relations meltdown

Before President Bush touched down in Pennsylvania Wednesday to promote his nuclear energy policy, the environmental group Greenpeace was mobilizing.

"This volatile and dangerous source of energy" is no answer to the country's energy needs, shouted a Greenpeace fact sheet decrying the "threat" posed by the Limerick reactors Bush visited.

But a factoid or two later, the Greenpeace authors were stumped while searching for the ideal menacing metaphor.

We present it here exactly as it was written, capital letters and all: "In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy, the world's worst nuclear accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID HERE]."

Had Greenpeace been hacked by a nuke-loving Bush fan? Or was this proof of Greenpeace fear-mongering?

The aghast Greenpeace spokesman who issued the memo, Steve Smith, said a colleague was making a joke by inserting the language in a draft that was then mistakenly released.

"Given the seriousness of the issue at hand, I don't even think it's funny," Smith said.

The final version did not mention Armageddon. It just warned of plane crashes and reactor meltdowns.​

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/14691089.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom