Greenpeace None Too Happy with Mighty O Sinking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'all ever watch B.S. with Penn and Teller? It's a funny show, they did an episode on PETA, during an interview with the director/president(whatever he's called) they pointed out to him that he was wearing a leather belt... ahh, the irony.

DiverBAS:
Yes, very daring and courageous. Have you also seen them intentionally ramming ships with theirs and bragging about the "can opener" they rigged in order to tear holes in the "target"?

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure the "can-opener" is something sea-shepherd use not greenpeace, sea-shepherd being a totally different entity with I would say a much different outlook.

fire_diver:
Wow, how myopic you are. We as human beings could release every poison held in containment, then detonated every nuclear weapon in existence. Earth would still be here. Plants would still be here. Insects and animals would still be here. Might even be a few humans left around too. The environment would change, adapt, and self cleanse as it has for millions of years. life would go on, even if in a different direction than before.

FD

Rik Raeder cares. I certainly appreciate that stance. Given that you have a strong opinion (without merit) blagging on about an apocolyspe is really - goofy. You must be basing your knowledge on the terrific Charlton Heston (cough) movie the Omega Man:
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue68/classic.html

"Rik Raeder cares. I certainly appreciate that stance. Given that you have a strong opinion (without merit) blagging on about an apocolyspe is really - goofy."

I did not state an opinion, I stated a fact. People who claim that we are killing the earth are stating an opinion. We as human beings can not kill every living thing off this planet. No matter how hard we tried, life would continue on. As for the apocolyptic aproach, it's the same one spouted by the tree-huggers, just with a bit of truth added to the end.

Now for REAL shocker, I also like to play devil's advocate.:evil:
I do recycle, I grow my own vegetables and fruits, and can/preserve each season. I believe in conservation and intelligent use of our resourses.

However, when I see/hear people stating that humans are destroying the environment, I see sheeple. No one has been studying the environment long enough to be able to state AS FACT, that what we see happening today is or is not the result of natural planetary cycles. It will take at least a couple more millenia of observation to be able to make those statements. In the mean time, I'm not going to worry about PCBs contained inside a wire jacket that will take the next couple millenia to completely break down.

FD

fire_diver:
"Rik Raeder cares. I certainly appreciate that stance. Given that you have a strong opinion (without merit) blagging on about an apocolyspe is really - goofy."

I did not state an opinion, I stated a fact. People who claim that we are killing the earth are stating an opinion. We as human beings can not kill every living thing off this planet. No matter how hard we tried, life would continue on. As for the apocolyptic aproach, it's the same one spouted by the tree-huggers, just with a bit of truth added to the end.

Now for REAL shocker, I also like to play devil's advocate.:evil:
I do recycle, I grow my own vegetables and fruits, and can/preserve each season. I believe in conservation and intelligent use of our resourses.

However, when I see/hear people stating that humans are destroying the environment, I see sheeple. No one has been studying the environment long enough to be able to state AS FACT, that what we see happening today is or is not the result of natural planetary cycles. It will take at least a couple more millenia of observation to be able to make those statements. In the mean time, I'm not going to worry about PCBs contained inside a wire jacket that will take the next couple millenia to completely break down.

FD

Given that no one from this forum will be around to verify the results - it's hard to argue your hypothesis.

I'll take a stab at "ruining the environment" though. I do propose that humans have a large degree of accountability in caring for the environment. As such, endangering the environment for others and other living things should be factored into our existence as a "sentient" species.

That being the case, I do worry about open containers of PCB's. I worry about leaking radioactive materials stored deep in the earth and sea, I also worry that if we don't turn things around that it will not be better for our kids. Hey, I'd rather see a nice healhy kid running around than a three-eyed Suzie. Jeez, we already have evidence in the form of higher levels of autism in kids etc. While traveling through India I saw enough examples of people not giving a whit about the environment with some very ugly and dramatic results. China is in the same boat.

I'll add another Doomsday movie which chronicles the only survivors in an apocolypse. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hellstrom_chronicle/

" Your best way to make a difference is to start in your own home. Reduce the electric load you pull so we don't have to burn as much gas to generate it (and that means less drilling, less dependance on the Middle East, ect, ect). Get energy saver bulbs, go lower wattage, turn of lights not in use, by appliances without phantom loads, turn up your AC, open some windows, buy on demand hot water, invest in a solar water heater if you are in a good zone, solar, ect, etc. When you are done with your home, turn to your community. Promote conservation by waste reduction. Email your senators and congressmen (don't forget the local ones!) Tell them you want them to promote small business growth in conservation, alternate energy and more efficient homes. Read up on the Energy Departments efforts to promote change. Read on your states efforts. This is the biggest impact you can have as an individual. As divers we tend to think out at sea, but the biggest impact we have is in our homes and in our votes. It's hard to respect those who promote the environment but burn enourmous amounts of electricity heating and lighting homes while they are at work! "
-Goose75

Words to live by

did the sinking of the Mighty O upset greenpeace? Too bad.
I agree with you fire diver, conservation starts at home. My house is 5 years old, with new energy saver appliances. Our energy bills are very low, and I keep the temperature programed for time of day/year, works great.

dlndavid:
did the sinking of the Mighty O upset greenpeace? Too bad.
I agree with you fire diver, conservation starts at home. My house is 5 years old, with new energy saver appliances. Our energy bills are very low, and I keep the temperature programed for time of day/year, works great.

Home conservation is to be applauded, it makes sense because it saves the individual money in their own pockets...how can we up the ante or spread it around?

This means - do we pick up trash, donate money, educate, actively stop those who would pollute, stop buying unnecessary plastic objects from Big Walmart/Target ?

Me, I donate, support environmental organizations, have cut back drastically on my red meat intake and have stopped buying from Walmart*. I say this because I am bothered by what I see and how blightfully unaware many folks are here in the USA. Again, traveling in dirt poor countries gives you some new perspectives.

*Walmart is trying to build a new complex in Alachua Country - a known aquifer region of Florida.

Additionally, as much as Greenpeace and Sea Shepards may irk people, they ultimately have everyone's best intentions at heart. If anything, they are bold enough to take a stance. I did as a long time ago, far away Greenpeacer. I met with the Japanese. Trust me, back in the 70's they did not give a **** about anyone else's feelings. Hostility, or being ignored was all that I was met with...even while practicing diplomacy. Did we save the environment through diplomacy? Not much at the time. In time Greenpeace came to understand that bad PR blanketing the airwaves and hitting the wallet are the most effective means. While I cannot condone some of the more questionable moves they make - I do appreciate their original intent.

I don't shop at Walmart, I prefer Target. :D
oh and I do composte all "green" material from our kitchen and yard.

Out of interest - why does the White House feel it's necessary to severely edit it's own governmental scientists annual report - "Our Changing Planet" - if those scientists are actually telling them there is nothing to worry about? Did they think that someone like Philip Cooney, a onetime lobbyist for the American Petroleum Institute (API), then Chief of Staff of the White House Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) actually knew more than them, enough to completely re-edit the report?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom