Greenpeace None Too Happy with Mighty O Sinking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PCBs are bad news. One of the problems as I recall is the difficulty in metabolising it. It has many chlorine atoms attached to the two joint benzene rings (for those with some understanding of chemistry). The body actually manages to displace the chlorine with oxygen (which is a lot harder for the body than usual metabolising processes) to make the molecules more soluble and therefore flush them out in urine. But this is difficult and a slow process. I am not sure whether the inital metabolites are also toxic (probably are).

I agree that Greenpeace is not always great at putting the point across, but maybe their unorthodox tactics attract more media attention than if they were to use the more sensible route. As in any balanced society they are needed to balance out the massive polluters at the other extreme.

The question for me is whether the 700 pounds are really significant in contrast to other sources of PCBs elsewhere, or is it just good publicity to make the public aware of PCBs (wheter this amount is significant or not). I remember this to be the case at the Brent Spar oil rig scandal a few years ago. The mount of residual oil was insignificant in contrast to daily pullution at another single source elsewhere.
But just because more is dumped elsewhere still does not make it right of course, but might not deserve this much hype though.

It would seem to me that the more critical point is the PCB's in the ship remain, not who reports this as bing a concern. The 700 lbs of PCB's left in the ship don't seem to be in doubt, so forget about Greenpeace and start thinking about diving in the area and eating locally caught fish ... I don't know about you, but I'd be concerned.

It would be nice to know 1) the rate at which the PCB's are expected to seep from the ship. 2) the relative risk based on this rate to both local ocean life as well as to people who may eat the fish from around the area.

Maybe I'm being to analytical... *shrug*

ReefHound:
Of course we are concerned with what goes into the water. But to project that onto this specific issue is just as irresponsible. The contaminants on the O are statistically insignificant with respect to the millions of tons that go into the water through ocean dumping and merchant shipping accidents.

We don';t need to study this issue to death as a delaying tactic. There have been plenty of wrecks to study for the last 50 years.

I have no idea if the Oriskany has been studied to death. I am not a big Greenpeace booster, and certianly no fan of PETA, another name that has been thrown around here for no apparent reason. However, I couldn't see anything in the article at the beginning of this thread that made Greenpeace look as though they were being irrational or unreasonable. They seem to have a very legitimate concern.

Many accidents dealing with ships on the water are unavoidable. Ocean dumping is certainly a valid concern. I hope most of it is illegal, and that inforcement will help correct the problem. But the Oriskany is a legal scuttling, and we better be damn sure what we are doing.

I hope most divers consider themselves environmentalists of some type or another. If not, then I think they need to start using de-fog in their masks.

I read that while I was eat my manatee stake and throwing my styrefoam cup and my plastic 5 pack holder in the ocean while I was hunting whales as I sprayd hair liberallly.

jeckyll:
It would be nice to know 1) the rate at which the PCB's are expected to seep from the ship. 2) the relative risk based on this rate to both local ocean life as well as to people who may eat the fish from around the area.

So why don't we know? The Oriskany isn't the first ship with PCBs to sink. Such ships have been sinking for 80 years now. I suspect we do know, but the Navy doesn't publicize it because they don't want the minute numbers taken out of context and the enviros don't publicize it because it doesn't support their alarmist position.

Dean810:
I have no idea if the Oriskany has been studied to death. I am not a big Greenpeace booster, and certianly no fan of PETA, another name that has been thrown around here for no apparent reason. However, I couldn't see anything in the article at the beginning of this thread that made Greenpeace look as though they were being irrational or unreasonable. They seem to have a very legitimate concern..

The unreasonableness starts at the beginning of the article - the date. The Oriskany was being prepared and studied for over 3 years. Public hearings were held. The EPA held the last one last January and granted final approval in February. So why raise these questions now that it is already sunk?

No need to study the Oriskany to death, there are tens of thousands of other shipwrecks to study. Or maybe there is something unique about Oriskany PCBs.

Why so opposed to Greenpeace?

---Because they are the enemy. Diving is an expensive sport, to do it you need a good job to afford the diving charters, the equipment, etc. Greenpeace hates economic development, tourism, real estate, the boating industry, the oil industry (diving boats don't run on sea water, btw), and everything that makes life diving possible.

greg454:
(diving boats don't run on sea water, btw)

Nor do the Greenpeace fleet....food for thought...

jeckyll:
It would be nice to know 1) the rate at which the PCB's are expected to seep from the ship.

As was said earlier, they didn't leave 700 lb sealed barrels of PCBs on the ship, and ignore small rusted out holes in those barrels. The PCB in question is mostly insulation on electrical wiring. Very slow leach rate, extremely stable, and not unique circumstances. There is little unknown about the effects of this source, and little to be concerned about according to those familiar with the issue. Greenpeace is grandstanding, and you are falling into their trap.

according to the Navy, 95% of all PCB's in the Oriskany are in electrical cable,
which is the slowest leaching of all PCB leachers.

they will release at the rate of LESS than .01 nanograms PCB per gram of shipboard
solid per day.

that means that for every gram of the ship that decays, less than .01 nanograms
will be PCB's

seems pretty ********** low to me

http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/reefing/factsheets/ex-ORISKANY Scientific Studies 2.pdf

now, i don't want to pollute, but this seems to be taking things out of proportion
just to get your name out there (hey, Oriskany is big news.... let's ride it by
making allegations...)

Back
Top Bottom