Greater Tampa Bay Area XI 3/22/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone have info on the diver who died last weekend off Clearwater.

I ask this because the his name has rung a bell with me.

eandiver:
Not to hijack this thread but does anyone have info on the diver who died last weekend off Clearwater.

dldiver was with us out on Ty's boat Sunday. We heard the call over the radio. She sent me this when she got home. I have heard nothing more. Guess you could start a thread and ask, just a thought.

Press Release
Date: April 1, 2007
Coast Guard Locates Body of Missing Diver Near Clearwater
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The Coast Guard located the body of a missing diver at 3:12 p.m. today about 15-miles west of Clearwater, Fla.
Joseph Libby, 50, of Palm Harbor, Fla., was reported missing by a Good Samaritan at 12:30 p.m. today after he failed to surface while recreational scuba diving with a group of two other friends from a 23-foot pleasure craft.
Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater immediately launched an HH-60 rescue helicopter and arrived on scene at 1:34 p.m. to search the area for the missing diver. The Coast Guard helicopter crew located the diver deceased at 3:12 p.m.
Crew members from Coast Guard Station Sand Key, in Clearwater, Fla., are transporting the body to awaiting Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Officials at Coast Guard Station Sand Key. The Pinellas County Coroner's Office will investigate the cause of death.

Please....everyone be careful out there.

eandiver:
Please....everyone be careful out there.

Mark, also, these fella's set off without a working radio. They had to go get another boat in order to reach the CG :sad:

DiverGirl4U, lil sis is will take one of the remaining spots. :) AstroDad, they are doing the Sheridan that day.

Missdirected:
Mark, also, these fella's set off without a working radio. They had to go get another boat in order to reach the CG :sad:

DiverGirl4U, lil sis is will take one of the remaining spots. :) AstroDad, they are doing the Sheridan that day.

Is there one, or two spots avail now?

AstroDad:

Kim said one or two :huh: Considering we all know each other, I don't see two as a problem. Perhaps shoot her or naturewalker36 whom is heading this trip up a pm? :ne_nau:

eandiver:

Does anyone else find it just a little odd how little interest there has been in this incident? Or is that normal?

There is an A&I thread about it but no info other than the CG press release....:confused:

dldiver:
Does anyone else find it just a little odd how little interest there has been in this incident? Or is that normal?

There is an A&I thread about it but no info other than the CG press release....:confused:

One little blurb in the paper and nothing on the news.

Now if it was a motorcyclist who died and wasn't wearing a helmet you'd never hear the end of it.

AstroDad:
we had 2 ... lil sis got one and astro dad can have the other :wink:
Kim P

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom