Greater Tampa Bay Area CHAT/OFF-TOPIC thread, take XVIII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. I am a freshman at the university of tampa(originally from Maryland). and was wonderin if there is anywhere cheap for a broke ass college student to dive in the Tampa area?

You should try to hook up with someone going to The Sugar Barge, Spanish Rocks or Venice. All of these are shore dives and cost nothing but your fuel.

You should try to hook up with someone going to The Sugar Barge, Spanish Rocks or Venice. All of these are shore dives and cost nothing but your fuel.

I am rescue but I have some friends at school who are open water. Is there any risk associated with those three shore dives that i would have to worry about with someone less experienced?

Nope...

Remember this is the gulf side.

Typically there is no surf, and if there is then don't go out. Viz will blow.

Spanish Rocks is a great shore dive with plenty of fish to see.

That's hard to answer w/o knowing anything about them or you. Depth maxes around 20 foot and viz can be OK but it's never exceptional viz (not counting sugar barge, I dont' know about that one but I think it is similar). The question is, when was the last time you or they dove? What is your or their experience with salt water and/or shore dives? What is their or your overall level of physical activity?

You'll be very disappointed w/ the Sugar Barge. I read about it several years ago in Underwater FL and happened to be staying on Anna Marie for a holiday weekend. It's only 20' deep or so, so I swam out and free dove it. All that's left is a triangular shaped piece of metal about the size of a Volkswagon. Not very exciting. You'll be much better off diving just down the street at Spanish Rocks. Of course if you just want to rack up some dive time, you can do both.

John

Quick question. I am a freshman at the university of tampa(originally from Maryland). and was wonderin if there is anywhere cheap for a broke ass college student to dive in the Tampa area?

Look for Spanish Rocks in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/60333-insider-information-local-diving.html

You'll be very disappointed w/ the Sugar Barge. I read about it several years ago in Underwater FL and happened to be staying on Anna Marie for a holiday weekend. It's only 20' deep or so, so I swam out and free dove it. All that's left is a triangular shaped piece of metal about the size of a Volkswagon. Not very exciting. You'll be much better off diving just down the street at Spanish Rocks. Of course if you just want to rack up some dive time, you can do both.

John

FWIW, I agree with John here. SB isn't even worth doing once.

If you do decide to do the sugar barge (I would recommend you don't waist your time) just snorkle it. At its deepest point its only like 11 feet deep. Not worth a dive but if you just want to get in the water and play around you might enjoy it.
You should also try Venice. Its a little further south but I'm sure if a few of you put your money together for gas you would be ok. Then you can get some sharks teeth.

Quick question. I am a freshman at the university of Tampa(originally from Maryland). and was wondering if there is anywhere cheap for a broke ass college student to dive in the Tampa area?
Some times, Spanish Rocks... perhaps 2 months out of the year in summer...

Sugar Barge is not worth doing unless you are new to diving...

Venice Beach (Surrounding beaches, not VB itself) is worth diving if you can afford the gas to get there! It will get you wet, but you MUST know basic navigation... Here is your basic navigation class... West - deeper water (20 miles out = 65'), East - Shallow water and shore... North & South between 15-20'= finding fossilized shark teeth, fossils and a fun dive from shore... (Especially if you can hook up the first time with someone who knows the area. You're in the right forum for that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom