Great White at Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't exactly call a GWS an "imminent danger" considering there have only been like 7 attacks recorded in Monterey/carmel, 2 fatalities, and only 2 were scuba divers. Considering the HUGE amount of people in the water at any given time, I'd say your odds are very, very good that you won't even see a shark, let alone be attacked.

I wouldn't exactly call a GWS an "imminent danger" considering there have only been like 7 attacks recorded in Monterey/carmel, 2 fatalities, and only 2 were scuba divers. Considering the HUGE amount of people in the water at any given time, I'd say your odds are very, very good that you won't even see a shark, let alone be attacked.

I'd venture a guess that you probably have much better odds of meeting your maker by dozing off at the wheel (or texting while driving) during that long boring drive home :).

Mike. I've told everyone before...if God wanted to take me when I was diving, he would have done it 5 1/2 years ago. I'm not going to die diving, I'm almost sure of it, and if I do...I died doing something I loved.
I don't think I'm being cocky, I just really don't think that's the way I'm gonna go because it didn't happen when it was so close to happening.

Kristina,

I have read your past posts before, when you mentioned the landlord quite a lot, I know you were just playing and so am I. :D

Let's get something straight here, I have been fascinated with the White Shark as a child who grew up in Huntington Beach swimming, boogie boarding, and surfing.

In high school all my friends knew about my fascination on this elusive apex predator, and would send me any clips or articles on them, any chance they got.

My goal is to be on the Guadalupe trip and see them in person, I will hopefully do that next year. I will bring back pictures for all to see and admire.

So, if I post on the shark, it's just for fun and nothing more. :wink:

p.s
Maybe that is why I was the only one really moved by Kevin's post, I really felt the energy as I admire this fish.

See, now, Mike, I thought they scared the crap outta you :wink:
Thanks for letting me in on it.

considering there have only been like 7 attacks recorded in Monterey/carmel, 2 fatalities, and only 2 were scuba divers.
Wait other than the Marco Flagg incident what other scuba diver got bitten? I haven't heard that story yet.

I'll admit that being in the water with a GWS up in the Monterey area would be a bit more nerve wracking than it is down here in SoCal. I'd worry about the shark mistaking me for something yummy in the murkier waters there. Here we have better visibility and as far as I know there has never been a GWS attack in Catalina waters despite all the diving that is done here. As I've mentioned, I had a 14 ft GWS swim past me while I was buddied up with Wyland so we could film giant sea bass down near our quarry.

Of course Guadalupe was much more interesting because there was better visibility and I could film away getting footage for Guy Harvey's TV show without worrying about one sneaking up behind me to see what was in the viewfinder! We had one 18 ft female who dwarfed the other cage that Guy was in.

In reality it seems Marco is the only one to be bitten underwater. The rest were hit on the surface. Marco had a lot of electronics running at the time of the bite too, which may have led up to it. Want to stay safe? Stay off the surface!

I knew about the surfer at Marina Beach and that is why I mentioned the sharks do come deep into the bay. They are there just like they are all over our local North Coast dive sites. No biggie they do not bite people on purpose. Surfers and swimmers are in the highest danger, and ab divers along with free divers rank pretty high up there too. I will stick to scuba where I feel safest.

In reality it seems Marco is the only one to be bitten underwater. The rest were hit on the surface. Marco had a lot of electronics running at the time of the bite too, which may have led up to it. Want to stay safe? Stay off the surface!

I knew about the surfer at Marina Beach and that is why I mentioned the sharks do come deep into the bay. They are there just like they are all over our local North Coast dive sites. No biggie they do not bite people on purpose. Surfers and swimmers are in the highest danger, and ab divers along with free divers rank pretty high up there too. I will stick to scuba where I feel safest.

Dude Marco Flagg's incident shouldn't even count. It was a case of mistaken identity. He even apologized!

Do you realize how embarrassing this is for me? Here I am, an apex predator, top of the food chain, and I can't distinguish the difference between a sea lion and a scuba diver. I can't even begin to tell you all the taunting I've taken from the other sharks in the area. But even worse are the psychological repercussions. Mr. Flagg, I am so sorry for the problems I caused and all I can tell you is that I'm delighted that you were not seriously injured. For a few days after the mistake (not attack) I lost my appetite. I mean, I'm an eating machine -it's what I do. And mistakes happen but we Great Whites pride ourselves on the fact that these mistaken identity problems occur infrequently. We really don't want to eat any of you. We're just doing what nature compels us to do.

So come give the [-]guy[/-] shark a break

(Full apology is on Peter's link above)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom