The Pinnacle Of West Coast Technical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell me more...
See post #20.

I'll spill the local beans because the place is hard to dive due to logistics, permits, etc.

There are two types of Monastery days. If the ocean is flat or near flat, you go in. Anything else, and you're in for a remarkable adventure.

Zero crowds because the water is cold; only the truly dedicated show up. The beach claimed many lives due to underwater topography and ocean conditions - you're diving in straight up ocean. Getting in and out can be challenging, depending on where you get in, the gear you got, and the physical conditions.

You book dives at Point Lobos and ride out to Monastery or do a South or North Monastery beach dive, which limits how much gear you can bring in.

Kelp forests everywhere. Kelp can go pretty deep. If there is a deep swell, you hang on to two kelp plants and swing ;-) While in kelp, you'll see harbor seals, sea lions hunting. You can encounter Great Pacific Octopus, but it is quite rare. Great whites come to visit, too. So if you're into nature, photography, videography, or just a dive that is not crowded, it is it.

Once you're done, you're 20 mins away from restaurants, bars, hotels. No cattle boats. No any boat rides. I can go on and on, but if you're a serious diver used to cold water, come dive. Even if you don't have trimix or CC, you'll have fun.

There is a ton of stuff that is steep and deep. Unfortunately, Monterey's dive shops are not CCR friendly. No CCR tanks for rent, hard to find trimix and sorb. Most people learn to dive in Monterey so that they can dive on vacation in tropical waters. And that is a really bad idea. I remember a class where one pour soul subjected herself to 3' viz in 53F water so that she could enjoy diving in the tropics. If you want to dive only tropics, learn to dive in the tropics...

To see good stuff in Monterey, you get a friend with a Zodiac. Have your bud launch at Point Lobos and then head over to Twin Peaks. Exceptional viz on a good day. You may see a great white, too. I haven't seen a great white myself, but I have seen a diver who saw a great white. Rumor has it, the person went through 80CF in a few minutes.

Another alternative is to get a decent scooter and ride it out from Point Lobos into Monastery. Unfortunately, launching from either South or North Monastery isn't ideal due to logistics/hiking required.

But once you hit the wall, you can go as deep as your sense of adventure will let you. On the way, you'll see a ton of wild life, kelp forests, and seals who will dive with you. I kid you not. Do a night dive in that area, and seals will come with you to use your lights hunting. That was one of my best dives ever. ~2 hours at 30' hunting with a seal. You shine at fish, seals eat the fist, and then... get back in line with you to get more food ;-)

If I had to choose between diving SE FL or Central Cal for the rest of my life, Central Cal would be it. No brainer.

Long dpv runs at Pt Lobos are life changing…especially when you get to see the tax man. CCR and Tx are great but a good team can lap the great pinnacle on 32% within NDL

Looks super steep in there. Went out beyond 'the skull' til some sea lions thought us interesting.
I can only imagine how cool it is to cruise properly steep & deep rocks on the mix 🛐
Y'all had me at 0 to 5 metres

(I know that's not by a local 😅)

Saw some GUE CCRs loading a boat at the marina once.
Molas joined the safety stop that day

Long dpv runs at Pt Lobos are life changing…especially when you get to see the tax man. CCR and Tx are great but a good team can lap the great pinnacle on 32% within NDL
So where do you get Tx and CC tanks? I was referred to a shop in SF but there is no way I am driving to the city for gas fills.

So where do you get Tx and CC tanks? I was referred to a shop in SF but there is no way I am driving to the city for gas fills.

I own all of my own tanks as do my buddies. For Trimix, there’s a new shop in Concord/Pacheco called Deep Blue Adventures , Diver Dans in Santa Clara , or Aquarius in San Jose.

That said, my buddies have boosters and have been known to help me out.

Even the smallest Usun booster is nearly 'overkill' for 2 and 3L cylinders of mix and oxygen (hot quick fills & icy supply regs..)

A dozen home fills and you already paid it off in fuel and time savings alone vs. driving to some distant tech shop (before fees)
Not sure about CA, but in WA even the local welding shops do helium and aviator grade breathing oxygen 🙏🏼

Looks super steep in there. Went out beyond 'the skull' til some sea lions thought us interesting.
I can only imagine how cool it is to cruise properly steep & deep rocks on the mix 🛐
Y'all had me at 0 to 5 metres

(I know that's not by a local 😅)

Saw some GUE CCRs loading a boat at the marina once.
Molas joined the safety stop that day
Cool video.
Too bad there are so many people that can’t handle cold water, it’s truly beautiful!
Another spot I’m familiar with that is world class is Arena Rock in Mendocino County.

That's a good thing for many of us who don't like crowds.
True that.
Yeah, California diving sucks. If I was not from the area I certainly wouldn’t pay money to go dive there.
Go ahead and stay in your precious Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom