Great White at Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LMAO,,you had me going till i got to the 75 degree water and the 100' vis!..

I'll admit that being in the water with a GWS up in the Monterey area would be a bit more nerve wracking than it is down here in SoCal. I'd worry about the shark mistaking me for something yummy in the murkier waters there. Here we have better visibility and as far as I know there has never been a GWS attack in Catalina waters despite all the diving that is done here. As I've mentioned, I had a 14 ft GWS swim past me while I was buddied up with Wyland so we could film giant sea bass down near our quarry.

Of course Guadalupe was much more interesting because there was better visibility and I could film away getting footage for Guy Harvey's TV show without worrying about one sneaking up behind me to see what was in the viewfinder! We had one 18 ft female who dwarfed the other cage that Guy was in.

Dr Bill,

Even if you have better viz in the Socal waters, if there were to be an attack on a diver there it could happen just as easy as up here.

Dr. Rocky Strong stated that when conditions are clear, less murky waters, a white shark will dive deeper to stalk. An adaptation that has allowed for air attacks in much clearer waters.

If and when he's ready to launch his attack, few questions are asked, Strong see's it as a cocked and loaded gun that is fired first and questions are answered later.

It's sensors on the lateral line must be intense to be able to detect you on a very clear viz day, not to mention it's perfect two tone color for blending so well above and below.

On a very bright clear SoCal viz day, that balance could swing against you Dr. Bill. I would theorize that it's white underbelly would be much harder to spot against the Sun light, than in darker water looking up.

Just my two cents...

Back
Top Bottom