Great White at Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from an amazing dive at the breakwater today! I decided to do my first solo dive because my normal buddy Fred didn't show up. I dropped down a little early to find the pipe and follow it out the the Metridiums. Along the way I saw some nice nudibranchs and crabs. Once at the Metridiums I really got this eerie feeling and I didn't have time to contemplate it before I saw a huge shadow in the the distance. At first I thought it was that silly submarine they sometimes launch here - I mean this thing was huge. About a minute later I noticed it again and almost screamed out my regulator as it got close enough for me to realize it was a White Shark. It had to be at least 18 feet long and came in right next to the Metridiums. I finned back to shore as quick as I could and got the hell out of the water. It's a shame too because the water was a toasty 75 degrees and the Vis was at least 100 feet.

4/1/10 (((kevin)))

Just got back from an amazing dive at the breakwater today! I decided to do my first solo dive because my normal buddy Fred didn't show up. I dropped down a little early to find the pipe and follow it out the the Metridiums. Along the way I saw some nice nudibranchs and crabs. Once at the Metridiums I really got this eerie feeling and I didn't have time to contemplate it before I saw a huge shadow in the the distance. At first I thought it was that silly submarine they sometimes launch here - I mean this thing was huge. About a minute later I noticed it again and almost screamed out my regulator as it got close enough for me to realize it was a White Shark. It had to be at least 18 feet long and came in right next to the Metridiums. I finned back to shore as quick as I could and got the hell out of the water. It's a shame too because the water was a toasty 75 degrees and the Vis was at least 100 feet.

4/1/10 (((kevin)))

Are you for @#$% real!!!!! As I read your post, I got frightened and can barely move... My chest caved in and I am without words.... :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

I am glad you are okay, as I have never met in my life anyone in scuba gear that has seen this magnificant animal at that distance and at Break Water the Metridiums...

Mike

4/1/10 (((kevin)))

Awe when the phone rang with a panicked voice on other line, I though you just about scared Mike G into giving me all his cool H gear!

Great story KWest!!

Last edited:
Are you for @#$% real!!!!! As I read your post, I got frightened and can barely move... My chest caved in and I am without words.... :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

I am glad you are okay, as I have never met in my life anyone in scuba gear that has seen this magnificant animal at that distance and at Break Water the Metridiums...

Mike

:rofl3:

The give-away was:
<snip> because my normal buddy Fred didn't show up. <snip>

<snicker>

All the best, James

Regular buddy Fred was definitely the first tip off. Heh, nice job kevin.

Back
Top Bottom