Sony vs. "Canon Color" White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I current use a Sony a6000 for land and Canon G7xii for underwater. When diving, I only shoot video with ambient light - it's just my personal style :) As you know, manual white balance color correction for ambient light video is an absolute must!

I was never able to use my a6000 for diving because Sony doesn't allow more than 9900k temperature on that mirrorless camera, whereas even Canon's compact camera manual white balance allows for waaaaaay more red and higher k. This means that any video past 30 feet/10 meters on the a6000 is too purple/blue to use and post-color correct.

It's time for me to upgrade and I would LOVE to consolidate to an a6600, a6700, or FX30 to go all-in on Sony mirrorless. Does anybody here use an a6600, a6700, or FX30 and can confirm if Sony's manual white balance temp allowance is on-par with Canon's? Thank you in advance!

I saw Backscatters A7IV white balance video here, but that's a full frame camera and I don't know if the white balance performance translates to an APS-C model.

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, the search bar didn't yield anything more recent than 2017.

Back
Top Bottom