GoPro11 auto white balance correction in Davinci Resolve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
My setup is a Gopro 11 with two Wurkkos D07 video lights (cheap Chinese lights).
During a recent trip to the Red Sea (north route - wrecks etc) I had the GoPro set for auto white balance and now that I am post editing the clips I am regretting it.

For far away scenes (that lights don't have any effect), or too near (where everything is evenly illuminated by the lights) white balance correction is manageable.
But for scenes where the subject in the foreground is illuminated by the lights, while the background is illuminated by ambient light things turn nasty.
It is not that foreground or background get wrong WB - I can manage this. The problem is that WB (being in auto) is constantly changing during a clip hence at some point the foreground appears ok-ish, and few seconds later (within the same clip) it is not and so it goes back and forth.

Is there something like time depended WB correction? Eg apply for few seconds one correction, for the next seconds another (and blend them somehow together so the transition is not too obvious)? Ideally I would like to do this in Davinci Resolve. It should be possible, but I don't even know how this is called hence I don't know what to look for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And of course I now know that WB stays in "native" for ever! But, is it too late to correct my recordings?

Cheers

Yes, this is totally doable, if annoying. Google for “keyframing” or “dynamic keyframes” for Resolve. Essentially, you define the white balance / color grading for key frames and it interpolates between them.

It's the stuff that lives in the bottom right here:

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 22.22.46.png

Yes, this is totally doable, if annoying. Google for “keyframing” or “dynamic keyframes” for Resolve. Essentially, you define the white balance / color grading for key frames and it interpolates between them.

It's the stuff that lives in the bottom right here:

View attachment 816875
That's exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks a million.

Another quickie...
Is there any "easy" way to reduce these ugly green/bluish sand patches from the backgrounds?
Timeline 1_01_50_05_43.jpg

Thanks ...

Attachments

• 1703233552012.png
    1703233552012.png
    725.4 KB · Views: 33
At a certain depth, if it is not sunny and if you have artificial light for the forefront, the background will very often turn that way. You can always correct it a bit and pretty quickly but not totally (look for tutorials on Youtube). On certain conditions it will almost certainly turns a bit "ugly". We are a bit spoiled by videos from professionals that looks so nice, and it certainly interesting to see how they achieve that (most of the time they don't mind throwing away bad stuff). We have to accept that's how it looked under water and with the means we had (cheap Chineese lights) we could not do better. In this particular image, I would have hiden the background behind the foreground. Very often we take videos without thinking of the result, professionals don't do that.

Yes. Use the color warped tool - hover the mouse over the cyan sand and one of the dot(s) in the color warper will be highlighted. Next move that dot towards the center dot that represents the neutral white point.

For time dependent color grading you can keyframe everything you do …

Yes. Use the color warped tool - hover the mouse over the cyan sand and one of the dot(s) in the color warper will be highlighted. Next move that dot towards the center dot that represents the neutral white point.

For time dependent color grading you can keyframe everything you do …
Great info again! Thanks a lot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom