grandfathers dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it would be cool to dive with it no doubt but i just cant risk losing it.

my grandma still has tons of his old dive gear, ill see what is 'dive-able' and what should be simply kept for display

Why do you think it would be cool to dive with it?

It would be strapped to your leg or to your rig, and you wouldn't even remember it was there, and even if you did you think you'd be saying to yourself, "wow this is such a great dive with my grandpa's knife on my leg"?

Lets say you actually had to use it, imagine how nervous you'd be at the thought of dropping it. Odds are exponentially greater that you in fact WOULD fumble with it and let go of it.

It belongs on display or safely in a box somewhere.

Now if he's got an old bottom timer or something like that, which you can securey strap to your wrist and check out during the dive, and think to yourself, "Wow grandpa must have looked at this this thing just like I'm doing right now!", that might be worth the effort.

Depends on your attachment to it, I suppose. I wrecked a BMW 2002 (somewhat of a classic car) in college, and all of my '02 buddies agreed that it was better for it to go being driven the way it was supposed to be driven than for it to sit around unused. It wasn't my late grandfather's though, which I'm sure makes a huge difference.

Probably daddy didn't feel that way.

Take it on at least one dive. That way you can at least say you've used Grandpa's knife.

On one dive you can be hyper-sensitive to the knife and make sure it comes back.

Or just clip it to a retractior.

:cool2:

Just think though...

You take it on the one and only dive that you swear will be the only dive you ever take it on. Suddenly!!! you get entagled by some heavy fishing line so you pull out your trusty Grand Father knife and cut your way loose. You're saved!
Just then, an enemy diver sneaks up on you from behind and grabs your regulator and attempts to pull it out of your mouth while simutaneously trying to grab your mask. You get out of his grip and recover because of your excellent skills and sharp focus. You spin around while pulling out that famous GF knife and face your enemy. It's a stand off!
You are quicker than the enemy and manage to zip around behind him and cut his exhast hose with that fantastic knife! while you're at it you grab his face plate which sends him to the surface in panic!!
You won the battle thanks to your trusty Grand Father Knife.

You finish your dive knowing that that famous knife not only saved your life but fought off an evil enemy diver.

You now can put away the knife and return to the real world.

Warning!: Never watch Sea Hunt reruns or you be wearing that knife on every dive!

Just then, an enemy diver sneaks up on you from behind and grabs your regulator and attempts to pull it out of your mouth while simutaneously trying to grab your mask.

Nah, can't happen. He's in prison for life with little chance of overturning on appeal.

Just think though...

You take it on the one and only dive that you swear will be the only dive you ever take it on. Suddenly!!! you get entagled by some heavy fishing line so you pull out your trusty Grand Father knife and cut your way loose. You're saved!
Just then, an enemy diver sneaks up on you from behind and grabs your regulator and attempts to pull it out of your mouth while simutaneously trying to grab your mask. You get out of his grip and recover because of your excellent skills and sharp focus. You spin around while pulling out that famous GF knife and face your enemy. It's a stand off!
You are quicker than the enemy and manage to zip around behind him and cut his exhast hose with that fantastic knife! while you're at it you grab his face plate which sends him to the surface in panic!!
You won the battle thanks to your trusty Grand Father Knife.

You finish your dive knowing that that famous knife not only saved your life but fought off an evil enemy diver.

You now can put away the knife and return to the real world.

Warning!: Never watch Sea Hunt reruns or you be wearing that knife on every dive!

You forgot wrestling with a fellow diver suffering from "rapures of the deep" and warding off that evil guy who drowns divers and covers his tracks by applying a pneumatic device that leaves the imprint of octopus tentacles.

Only a grandfathers sized knife would do in those circumstances!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom