grandfathers dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TyGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
my grandmother recently came across my grandfathers old dive knife. it probably hasnt been used since the late 70's but she said it's in good condition. i dont have it yet but once i do im going to put up some pictures. what i would like to know is how would i take care of this knife (sharpen it, clean it, keep it in good condition) would i treat it like a new knife or more like an antique? more importantly should i even dive with it?

TyGuy,

Get a photo of it up, and we can give some recommendations. If the knife has sentimental value, you may not want to dive it. There is always a potential for it to be lost during a dive.

SeaRat

If it is your gf knife and has sentimental value then I would not dive with it as it will be surely lost to Davy Jones, count on it. I have gifted him watches, knives, all manner of equipment. I have left more equipment on the bottom perhaps than I currently own.

N

I would have to agree with everyone and not dive with it...... I know it probably means a lot to you being your Grandfather's but the risk is too great of it getting lost or damaged. I would just clean it up (if needed) and maybe put it in a shadow box with a small brass tag signifying his use and put on the wall or mantle. I'm sure he would just as proud of it being done that way.

Depends on your attachment to it, I suppose. I wrecked a BMW 2002 (somewhat of a classic car) in college, and all of my '02 buddies agreed that it was better for it to go being driven the way it was supposed to be driven than for it to sit around unused. It wasn't my late grandfather's though, which I'm sure makes a huge difference.

id does have some serious sentimental value. my grandfather died when i was very young and i would like to keep this knife in his memory. i think once i get it ill preserve it and keep it o display. it would be cool to dive with it no doubt but i just cant risk losing it.

my grandma still has tons of his old dive gear, ill see what is 'dive-able' and what should be simply kept for display

id does have some serious sentimental value. my grandfather died when i was very young and i would like to keep this knife in his memory. i think once i get it ill preserve it and keep it o display. it would be cool to dive with it no doubt but i just cant risk losing it.

my grandma still has tons of his old dive gear, ill see what is 'dive-able' and what should be simply kept for display
Keep his old knife on display and go find another one just like it or similar to it and dive with that one.
That way you can get a similar nostalgic feeling but you won't be devastated if you lose it.

Keep his old knife on display and go find another one just like it or similar to it and dive with that one.
That way you can get a similar nostalgic feeling but you won't be devastated if you lose it.

I've done alot of this with family keepsakes. The problem now is I'm beginning to forget which is which:(

Back
Top Bottom