Fixing the questionable X-cut knife holster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlovsky120

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I got the Scubapro X-cut knife with the sheath.

The sheath is pretty simple, it has a velcro strap that goes sideways over the knife, securing it. Except, if you don't make sure that the velcro right above the knife handle is pressed, the knife can easily slide out. I've been trying to come up with a solution that would not make it more difficult to pull the knife out (or put it in) but will ensure that knife is either clearly secure or not.

I came up with a simple 4mm bungiee cord loop:

photo_3_2024-02-16_20-58-31.jpg

photo_1_2024-02-16_20-58-31.jpg

Tie the bungiee cord to the knife and create a loop like in the image (I used bowline for the both knots - it's easier to use if you use a knot where two ends of the loop don't exit the knot in parallel). Once you slide the knife into the sheath, pull the loop over the bottom part of the sheath, like in the first image. Assuming you have the sheath threaded as shown, the only way to release the loop is to pull it under the sheath, the same way you put it on (or to pull the knife up, releasing it from the sheath). Provided that the loop isn't to big, the knife won't be able to fall out of the sheath on its own. You can unsheath the knife by pulling it up until it exits the sheath, and then move it down to free the loop.

I've managed to release it with one hand wearing 3mm gloves, and can resheath it using only one hand (although it is a lot easier if you use the other hand to hold the sheath).

I wanted to share this, both to see if anyone thinks this is a bad idea for any reason, and to show it to anyone who is looking for a similar solution.

Not a good idea. Too slow to draw, IF the sheath is long enough, then you can melt a notch in the far end of the sheath and then run that bungi, down and around and behind half the sheath. So one length of the bungi is in front of the sheath and the other has the last portion behind the sheath.

That will hold it very tight, and is easy to deploy, since you slip your hand under the bungi - and possibly through it so when you draw it, you have an elastic lanyard around your wrist. Takes a little practice but it is fast. Obviously, you need to make the bungi the right length/tension. In a panic you can yank it straight up and then move outward and the bungi will just pop off, but it is tough on the bungi material. Better to slip your hand through the loop and then stretch and pop off the bottom notch.

When you store it, which is most of the time, you don't keep the bungi stretched down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom