Grand Cayman Diving - Sunset House as good as it sounds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I have been to Cobalt Coast/Divetech twice, fantastic trips and where I would go for mainstream Grand Cayman. My current favorite is Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on the East end, best operation, best diving, pretty isolated.

Sunset house is ok as an hotel. Very few rooms gets wifi! Cathy church photo shop is GREAT and the staff very helpful. The dive staff are less than ok. They time the dives 45 to 50 minutes and they insult us by saying that it is for our safety! I paying, I want to dive my air! They just want to be back for lunch, they don't really care about you. The shore dive is nice. I don't known about dive training there.

:cheerleader:Thank you, thank you! I choose Ocean Frontier while staying at Moritts and Divetech while staying at Cobalt Coast. I'm so excited for my June trip! I choose to dive rather than shopping for T-shirt:blinking:.

The dive staff are less than ok. They time the dives 45 to 50 minutes and they insult us by saying that it is for our safety!...

Also, when I was there, on one of the dives late in the week, I went below 100'. Well that didn't sit well with the DM/Captain after he was told someone broke the "profile". He scolded me in front of everyone after I apologized... The last time I was there (yr before), we would dive our own profiles even after they stated the site profile and noone said a thing. I thought they were just suggesting a profile for people who couldn't figure out their own. Very rarely did I ever follow their profiles. This time I break 100' and they get nutty. So I went to the dive shop manager and explained what had happened and asked what was the reason for the difference from the yr before... He was totally apologetic and said that shouldn't happen. Said he would speak to the DM/Captain. Whether he did or not, I don't know, but it really soured my thinking to go back to Sunset House. I like a lot about the Sunset House but if my diving is impacted like that I won't be going back. I would definitely check with the dive shop manager before another trip there to make sure they don't have some kind of Sunset House "dive limits".

I dove with them once........just once......when we boarded the boat i asked the captain what sites we would be diving and he said "Two amazing sites right next to each other Eden Rock and Devils grotto" after i finished laughing I said loudly do you expect me to pay a $100. to dive those sites when i can dive them for $20. from shore..................I then said I wouldn't be going unless the sites were changed......which they did.

There was an article in the Cayman Compass yesterday about Sunset Divers being in breach of regulations by leaving boat unattended while diving.

As far as dive limits, The Cayman Watersports Association set those at 110 feet and No Decompression.

I agree that if you are on a non charter boat there have to be rules set for the safety and convenience of everyone. Sunset had a death last year so you can be sure they will be toeing the line in future.
The DM however, should have talked to the deep diver privately rather than in front of the whole boat.
EastendDiver, is that story about Eden Rock really true?
If so, I will never go diving with them in future.

Doctorfish Yes it is true. I own on Island and spend a lot of time there and have seen their boats at the Eden Rock/Devil Grotto moorings many many times.

Also, when I was there, on one of the dives late in the week, I went below 100'. Well that didn't sit well with the DM/Captain after he was told someone broke the "profile". He scolded me in front of everyone after I apologized... The last time I was there (yr before), we would dive our own profiles even after they stated the site profile and noone said a thing. I thought they were just suggesting a profile for people who couldn't figure out their own. Very rarely did I ever follow their profiles. This time I break 100' and they get nutty. So I went to the dive shop manager and explained what had happened and asked what was the reason for the difference from the yr before... He was totally apologetic and said that shouldn't happen. Said he would speak to the DM/Captain. Whether he did or not, I don't know, but it really soured my thinking to go back to Sunset House. I like a lot about the Sunset House but if my diving is impacted like that I won't be going back. I would definitely check with the dive shop manager before another trip there to make sure they don't have some kind of Sunset House "dive limits".
Actually they do.

CITA members comply with a recommended 100 feet (30 meters) for recreational scuba customers. The required maximum depth with recreational scuba customers is 130feet/39meters and 100feet/30 meters for repetitive dives the same day. Since our days start with a two tank dive, Sunset Divers sets a safe 100′ safety limit and all divers are required to stop on the way to the surface on the completion of your dive for a 3 minute safety stop at 10 to 15 ft deep.

EastendDiver, that clinches it for me. Sunset Divers is officially off my list of dive ops.
There are enough good operations on GC that one need not put up with that sort of nonsense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom