Grand Cayman Dive Shop (Boat + Shore Diving) Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @azstinger11

My last two visits to Cayman were to Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. On my last visits to West Bay, I had very good experiences with Wall to Wall and DNS. We have known Dusty at DNS for a long time, since he was driving for Cayman Diving School. I have not dived with Divetech since they were at Cobalt Coast, very good back then.

We also do our shore diving at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast. I would probably not go to CC unless I was staying there. I did, twice, unlimited shore diving was included in the package. As pointed out, the night dives at Turtle Reef are phenomenal.

The Kittiwake is lackluster, a single dive is enough. I visited on the Aggressor, we did 3 dives, including a night. I spent half the night dive on the adjacent reef. I did one of the day dives on the adjacent dive site, Sand Chute, it was very good.

Have a great trip. Let me know if you plan to make it back to Florida

Yeah Cobalt shore dive is fine if you're staying there (and it doesn't get blown out) but I probably wouldn't bother if I weren't staying there. Long swim to wall or much of anything. Much prefer Turtle reef, interesting/different dive both directions. Also more sheltered.

Finding take-out tanks can be hard. But we’ve had luck with Eden Rock and Lobster Pot.

For shore dives, the previous posts have given a good selection.

You can do other dives from shore if you know where to look. Once, when younger and more adventurous, we did Babylon as a shore dive. It was gorgeous, but damn, that surface kick to get there was brutal!

Divers Supply in the pink plaza on west bay road will rent tanks if you really want to go off the beaten path.
My advise would be to not go this route, and stick to the shore sites that have facilities. They are located where they are for a reason.

Divers Supply in the pink plaza on west bay road will rent tanks if you really want to go off the beaten path.
My advise would be to not go this route, and stick to the shore sites that have facilities. They are located where they are for a reason.
Agree! BTW.. Lobster Pot is now is the new home of Living the Dream..exclusively.

What happened to Wall to Wall and Deep Blue?

I think all your questions have been covered but I will add my two cents. Where you want to dive will drive where you want to stay and vice versa. We have thoroughly enjoyed our trips staying at Ocean Frontiers diving almost exclusively by boat with them with good access to the eastern side of the island. Nice and quiet vibe on the east end. We have also stayed at Cocount Bay Condos up in West Bay when we want to do more shore diving. At CBC, you have access to the two Hepps shore dive sites which I think are some of the best dive sites on the island. Turtle Reef/Macabuca is right next door for more shore diving options as well as Lighthouse Pt just down the street. Between the three plus a trip to Eden/Grotto can give you all the shore diving you want plus with a myriad of boat ops you can throw some of those in as well.

Don't underestimate the traffic and what a PITA it can be around Georgetown and the airport on weekdays and at peak times. We avoid at all costs.

Haven fun and post a report.

Agree! BTW.. Lobster Pot is now is the new home of Living the Dream..exclusively.
It looks like there have been many changes on Grand Cayman since my last visit and, perhaps, in the wake of Covid. I still find DNS and Deep Blue. I don't know about Wall to Wall, their website seems corrupted.

Where you want to dive will drive where you want to stay and vice versa.
This is spot on. The traffic heading in to George Town in the morning is a superb exercise in patience. It isn’t too much better in the evening heading out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom