Question Grand Cayman recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you'd like a smaller boat and smaller dive groups, consider Just Dive Cayman. Their level of service (and fun) never disappoints.
@ROUS is spot on. Give Mike Painting, the owner, a call or send an email asking him about his trips/dive schedule, and for recommendations concerning lodging and dining. Mike will help you, even if you wind up using another dive op. But, you won't find a better dive op in GC. I have been using him for years, and have never been disappointed.

Ditto what Doc said. We did some shores dives on Brac on what we call refrigerator reef. Other than the name it was not memorial. We had a car as we stayed at friend's place. We dived in the am, climbed in the pm, and got rum ice cream in the evenings.

As for Little Cayman, we did not have a car as the place we stayed at, Conch Club had bicycles. We did all of our diving with LCBR as they did three tank dives whereas CC only did morning two tank dives. At the time CC used LCBR pier. We only did boat dives.

Both islands are much more tranquil which is to our liking.

Also look at sunset house.
@Scoooter961 is the reef at Sunset House consistently diveable? I know it's weather dependent, but I wonder if it's good for shore diving or snorkeling more often than not. I do like the idea of having that, even if it's just to jump in for a swim.

@Scoooter961 is the reef at Sunset House consistently diveable? I know it's weather dependent, but I wonder if it's good for shore diving or snorkeling more often than not. I do like the idea of having that, even if it's just to jump in for a swim.
I have never heard of a time outside of severe weather when you couldn't. It's not like cobalt coast that got blown out alot.

Jumping in again - if Cobalt Coast is still on your list, the shore dive there is just okay IMO. On the plus side, it's a chance to get a dive in, and Divetech is there with the tanks - probably free if you do a boat dive on same day. If doing boat dives, and water conditions aren't great for the boat to come into the pier, Divetech will shuttle you to their boat elsewhere and dive sites along Seven Mile Beach, where the water is usually calm.

Lighthouse Point for shore diving is also located in West Bay (as is Cobalt Coast) and Divetech is the op. It is about a 10 min. drive from CC.

Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch/Macabuca Restaurant (across from the Turtle Farm) is a nice shore dive day and night. Sun Divers is located there so tanks are available. It's also in West Bay, about a 10-12 minute drive from CC.

* One of my favorite snorkel areas is Turtle Lagoon at the Turtle Farm. It costs to get in, but it's worth a visit if you've never been there. Several things to see and do.

Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch/Macabuca Restaurant (across from the Turtle Farm) is a nice shore dive day and night. Sun Divers is located there so tanks are available. It's also in West Bay, about a 10-12 minute drive from CC.
Sun Divers is no more. Olin decided to go into retirement. The operation was taken over by Nat at Indepth Watersports. Nothing much has changed with the setup - they took a lot of damage during the February storm this year that meant a bit of a rebuild and the Cracked Conch are starting some new building work on that side of the building, so I think right now they are working from a tent in the car park. But still eminently diveable and my favourite publicly-accessible shore dives on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom