Grand Cayman Dive Shop (Boat + Shore Diving) Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All!

Planning a trip in June for our first ever trip to Grand Cayman. We have talked to a few dive shops so far the offer "unlimited shore diving" and so far that just means at their house reef. We had hoped to get a rental car and explore the island and do shore diving sort of all over. We had hoped to find a dive shop that would offer boat diving and unlimited tanks for shore diving around the island (so more like Bonaire dive friends or buddy dive). Otherwise it looks like you have to grab tanks from whatever dive shop happens to be nearest to the shore diving spot? Also we can't find a boat that does back to back tanks on the Kittiwake, is that just not done? Sadly for this trip sticking to pure recreational setups/limits, next time we hope to bring our rEvos!

We are staying near the southern end of 7 Mile Beach if that matters.

Appreciate any inputs and suggestions.

Cayman just isn't Bonaire. Not so many spots with good and accessible shore diving that aren't private property. So you need to rent from the shop on site if there's one And yeah most shops don't let you take their tanks off site. Divers Supply might be the only shop that let's you take tanks off site - a good thing since they're in a strip mall. But one tank at a time not what you have in mind.

We have found 5 good shore dives with easy access in GC. The previous poster is correct they are all house reefs and we just got our tanks there so I don't know if they would allow outside tanks. Sites are all on the west side so an east wind can blow you out. All of the dives are very good but it is not Bonaire. Shops are Cobalt Coast just north of West Bay, Sun Divers at Macabuca near the turtle farm, Eden Rock just south of Georgetown, Don Fosters south of Eden Rock about 1/2 mile and Sunset House 1/4 mile south of Don Fosters. Sunset House, Fosters, Cobalt Coast all had boats. Highlights are very good swim throughs and very friendly eels. ie they have been fed. I hope this helps as I do not know the status of these shops since covid hit and their government decided to shut down business on the island. Please report back Enjoy

Ah okay thanks. It isn't really a problem, just more of an adjustment/learning. We just had heard there was good shore diving in GC and didn't really think it would be limited to private property/house reefs. That's fine and easy enough, plus probably means bathrooms, gear wash, and beers post dive! Our plan was 2 tank boat dives in the morning with 1-2 tanks of shore diving in the afternoon as we explored after lunch. Which sounds possible just different than anticipated.

Any insights about two tank kittiwake dives? We are assuming its another island-ism that it just simply isn't done. Which is also fine but if there does happen to be a boat/shop that does, we'd like to take them up on it lol.

Any stellar west end dive shops people would recommend? We have heard good things about DiveTech (and would use them if we return to do any technical diving, I do know they support and welcome recreational divers), the new* Don Fosters Dive Company. Anyone else we should look at?

Divetech at Lighthouse point will be another of your “house reef” options.

Coconut Bay condos has some kind of dive shop and good shore diving if you are staying there, but that may be limited to guests there.

I think theres a few other house reef options but the ones already mentioned are probably the best. You are correct that facilities and food/drink is a nice feature of nearly all these options.

Ocean Frontiers on the East End may allow rental for shore diving. My understanding of the few shore accessible dives available around the east end, you’re mostly looking at spots with tough entries, long swims, and often snarky conditions. We stick to boats.

Divetech is close to Seven Mile Beach. They have a very nice double wall for shore diving.

Divetech Grand Cayman

Ocean Frontiers/Compass Pointe is a great place to both stay and dive on the East End. Nice condos. Literally steps away from the dive boats.

Home

There are lots of great options on GC but not exactly what you are looking for. Our routine there is a 2 tank boat dive AM and then shore diving either Cobalt or Macabuca/Sundivers depending on conditions.

Everyone has a personal favorite operator. Ours is DNS Diving. Almost all have big boat/small group diving and will pick up and drop off along 7MB. There are a few "cattle boat" operators usually based at a hotel. I won't get into that. All the operators get busy so best to book in advance.

Even though you are staying at 7MB, it's worth driving out to East End to dive with Ocean Frontiers for a day or two.

I would not waste my time looking for a 2 tank dive on Kittiwake. IMO not that much to see.
I get bored there after about 10 minutes and spend the rest of the dive out on the wall or in the sand flats.

Divetech is close to Seven Mile Beach. They have a very nice double wall for shore diving.

Divetech Grand Cayman

Ocean Frontiers/Compass Pointe is a great place to both stay and dive on the East End. Nice condos. Literally steps away from the dive boats.

Home

Thanks for that! We have a timeshare with options at both ends of the Island, we chose west end for our first trip but east end is on our list too!

There are lots of great options on GC but not exactly what you are looking for. Our routine there is a 2 tank boat dive AM and then shore diving either Cobalt or Macabuca/Sundivers depending on conditions.

Everyone has a personal favorite operator. Ours is DNS Diving. Almost all have big boat/small group diving and will pick up and drop off along 7MB. There are a few "cattle boat" operators usually based at a hotel. I won't get into that. All the operators get busy so best to book in advance.

Even though you are staying at 7MB, it's worth driving out to East End to dive with Ocean Frontiers for a day or two.

I would not waste my time looking for a 2 tank dive on Kittiwake. IMO not that much to see.
I get bored there after about 10 minutes and spend the rest of the dive out on the wall or in the sand flats.

Thanks for that! We aren’t dead set on any one plan, just what we had initially thought of. Thank you for the dive op recommendations!

None of the above mentioned shore diving operations allow for outside tanks to be brought in. In paying for your tank, the cost goes towards maintenance of the facility, water for rinse tanks, etc. Each one offers something a bit different in terms of topography, pros, cons. I wouldn't choose to do Eden Rock on a day when there are cruise ships in port. Night dives at TR/ Sundivers wins hands down. Cobalt Coast , you really need minimal winds and they need to be coming from southerly direction for best diving conditions. I believe these days Coconut Bay diving is strictly for residents only.
I like the crew both at DNS and at Don Fosters, cant go wrong with either. Don Fosters does have shore parking, docking, diving, and rinsing if that makes a difference.
Technical diving wise, either Divetech or you might check out Nat with Indepth Watersports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom