Good tropical diving closer to the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't the SLC Chamber of Commerce slogan "Utah. Only an 18 hour travel to some really great scuba diving!"

Feeling your pain.

I've looked into budget trips from here in the west to all the caribbean spots, and Coz tops the list for short flights and budget. Hawaii is easy to get to, but expensive. Bonaire is a long travel day (but worth it IMHO). Some day, we'll try Florida, but on the surface, it still seems that Coz is the better option for us. And that's not a bad thing!

(5 degrees in Denver now - 18 hrs of travel sounds good to me!)

it still seems that Coz is the better option for us. And that's not a bad thing!

Hope to see you at Invade Cozumel! :D

Thanks for the link, Wookie. How many dives total are included in the 3D/4N Liveaboard? It doesn't state.

Depends on what boat you take and your interests. The Spree offers 5 dives per day (including a night dive) except the last day when 2 are offered on the Vandenberg. The Ultimate Getaway offers an open deck on their spearing trips, many divers get 6-7 per day. Too many for me. The S/V Juliet (I hear) offers 3 plus a night dive, but their trips are 7 days. The Playmate (another mostly spearing boat) is pretty much open deck unless they have to move to a new location.

Isn't the SLC Chamber of Commerce slogan "Utah. Only an 18 hour travel to some really great scuba diving!"

lol! We're cooking at 17 degrees here in balmy SLC.
I gotta admit that when the temps dropped yesterday, it made any tropical destination seem good.

If the diving is good and not wacky expensive, I'll suck up a long miserable day of travel to get there. I just won't suck up 1 day+ & an overnight layover in a US city to get there. I will succeed on this mission!

Feeling your pain.

I've looked into budget trips from here in the west to all the caribbean spots, and Coz tops the list for short flights and budget. Hawaii is easy to get to, but expensive. Bonaire is a long travel day (but worth it IMHO). Some day, we'll try Florida, but on the surface, it still seems that Coz is the better option for us. And that's not a bad thing!

For me, the further I can be away from 5 degree weather the better.....Please keep that stuff all around you...........lol

I'll suck up a long miserable day of travel to get there.
Not exactly miserable - just pretty early....lol And a 6hr layover in Aruba on the return.

Fly to Aruba 1st. Then fly Dutch Antilles Express to Curacao. They may not show up in the Matrix s/w - IDK.
home - Fly DAE

Salt Lake City (SLC) to Aruba (AUA) - Mon, May 2
Delta Salt Lake City (SLC) to Atlanta (ATL) - Mon, May 2
Delta 2735 Dep: 12:50AM Arr: 6:19AM 3h 29m Boeing 757 Coach (U)

Layover in ATL 3h 21m

Delta Atlanta (ATL) to Aruba (AUA) - Mon, May 2
Delta 655 Dep: 9:40AM Arr: 1:48PM 4h 8m Boeing 757 Coach (U)

DAE flights:

Flight Date Departure City Time Arrival City Time
9H0824 02May Aruba Reina Beatrix (AUA) 15:30 Curaçao Hato (CUR) 16:00

Return:

Flight Date Departure City Time Arrival City Time
9H0815 07May Curaçao Hato (CUR) 09:00 Aruba Reina Beatrix (AUA) 09:30

Total fares USD 84.00
Total taxes USD 28.00
Booking fee USD 0.00
Total price USD 112.00

There's also a 2:00-2:30 flight but that might be pushing it in Aruba.

Aruba (AUA) to Salt Lake City (SLC) - Sat, May 7
Delta Aruba (AUA) to Atlanta (ATL) - Sat, May 7
Delta 654 Dep: 3:03PM Arr: 7:25PM 4h 22m Boeing 757 Coach (U)

Layover in ATL 1h 5m

Delta Atlanta (ATL) to Salt Lake City (SLC) - Sat, May 7
Delta 1288 Dep: 8:30PM Arr: 10:47PM 4h 17m Airbus A320 Coach (U)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $560.70
Total cost for 1 passenger $560.70

Same excellent diving as Bonaire - 10x the people. Piscadera Bay Resort rents a 2br/1ba bungalow with full kitchen for $110/nt. 5 nights min. Full kitchen incl. all utensils, gated, fenced - 1 mile from a large market. Most have ocean views Piscadera Bay Resort

The Marriott and Hilton are just across the street - both have dive operations - and shore diving.
(Caribbean Sea Sports and Ocean Encounters)
Being solo, you could also dive with the Dive Bus. The Dive Bus - WELCOME They pickup in the PB area.

You can also shore dive at off Hooks Hut - an inexpensive bar, restaurant & diveshop within easy walking distance. The PB area is quiet, a little isolated (10mins. drive to downtown) and IMO the better diving is out west.

The reef in PB is enough of a swim out that we decided to rent tanks at Hooks and go elsewhere. But I saw others doing it one afternoon - we're just lazy...:D

I should've been a travel agent...

Last edited:
For me, the further I can be away from 5 degree weather the better.....Please keep that stuff all around you...........lol

Drove from Aspen to Denver last night in blowing snow, 3 degrees weather. :depressed:
Plugged in the block heater in my truck when I got home :depressed:
Wore wool socks, turtle neck + sweater today :depressed:
Packed our ski gear so we can escape to the mountains for some skiing :eyebrow:
Shoveled the steps at my OFFICE so I could do some WORK today :depressed:

But.... spending time in Aspen (even for work), skiing some good powder, and enjoying watching the kids build igloos is still a nice way to spend time, eh?

10 days ago, I shot this picture wearing a shorty wetsuit and after the dive, enjoyed a few Longboards (with lime). Appreciate what you have, no matter where you are!

IMG_1660-1.jpg

I should've been a travel agent...

Hells ya you should've been!! Nice work!

You just might be my new bff :) I owe you a drink if we're ever at the same watering hole :D

Drove from Aspen to Denver last night in blowing snow, 3 degrees weather. :depressed:
Plugged in the block heater in my truck when I got home :depressed:
Wore wool socks, turtle neck + sweater today :depressed:
Packed our ski gear so we can escape to the mountains for some skiing :eyebrow:
Shoveled the steps at my OFFICE so I could do some WORK today :depressed:

But.... spending time in Aspen (even for work), skiing some good powder, and enjoying watching the kids build igloos is still a nice way to spend time, eh?

10 days ago, I shot this picture wearing a shorty wetsuit and after the dive, enjoyed a few Longboards (with lime). Appreciate what you have, no matter where you are!

IMG_1660-1.jpg

& I bought a house on Roatan for several reasons----1 of which is it's never been in the 50's there.:)

Back
Top Bottom