Good News On Taxi Exchange Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanna say it was like 50 pesos last time I did Tulum to Playa?

I'll second that. It was below 100 for two last week with full gear.

And on topic, pasos when possible.... I'm not fond of accepting them here, why not let them make a little on the side if we want to offer dollars there.

PDC to Tulum, 35 pesos, three weeks ago.

Yes, ADO is only 70 and has better seats and can accomodate luggage but if you are traveling light the collectivo is faster and more flexible. Just walk up to a terminal and you're on your way in two minutes, or flag down a passing van at any point along the road, or ask to be let out at any time along the way.

That said, ADO is only like 60-70 each way.
The ADO bus are quite comfortable and travel all over. The price to Tulum from Playa varies slightly by time of day but is still cheap. Here is their website
Autobuses ADO

The ADO bus are quite comfortable and travel all over. The price to Tulum from Playa varies slightly by time of day but is still cheap. Here is their website
Autobuses ADO
Also, even cheaper if you book round trip. Not trying to convince anyone not to take collectivos, but it's nice to have ADO available at only a slightly higher price point.

Back to Cozumel taxis, last night one charged my friends 10 to one. So much for that rule.

I did see this post in Cozumel 4 You on Facebook. Someone to call if taxistas don't play fair...

image.jpg

I thought the taxi rate back to Playa del Carmen was pretty reasonable last year. They had prices posted, and I asked them how much really and they were a lot cheaper. We paid in pesos to avoid the Tourist Tax.

No such thing.

No such thing.
Sure there is. Whenever you get gouged by an unfair exchange rate that benefits the vendor, that's a tourist tax. When I was last in Coz, the exchange was about 14/1. Taxis would tell me 100 pesos or ten dollars. THAT'S a tourist tax. That a local would pay even less than the 100 pesos makes it even worse. You call it what you will, but it pisses me off to be taken advantage of. I avoid the tourist tax as much as I can.

When in Rome... er, Mexico, do as the Mexicans do. Pay in pesos. Taxi drivers can only take advantage of you if you allow it to happen.

Sure there is. Whenever you get gouged by an unfair exchange rate that benefits the vendor, that's a tourist tax. When I was last in Coz, the exchange was about 14/1. Taxis would tell me 100 pesos or ten dollars. THAT'S a tourist tax. That a local would pay even less than the 100 pesos makes it even worse. You call it what you will, but it pisses me off to be taken advantage of. I avoid the tourist tax as much as I can.
Yeah, OK, but as ggunn says, don't allow it to happen. Know what the rate is. Hail the cab, reach your destination, pay the correct fare, thank your driver, and walk. Those drivers that try to impose the tourist tax can sit there all day yelling, screaming, muttering or whatever - doesn't matter - pay the correct fare and walk. The end.

i hate to say it but if you want to pay in USD then take the loss... Pay in peso and you are treated fair. How many businesses or individuals in the US will take the peso? none.. I did give a waitress last night a 500 peso note in Oklahoma. lol. , she took it with much gratitude as she is headed down in the next month. I do know there are taxi's that take advantage of people, but the exchange rate they choose is not one. agree on a price before you get in.

Back
Top Bottom