Good and cheap Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Sonicor heated lab model, and a $60 60W plastic eBay model. I can't see that the cheap one cleans any less effectively than the expensive one, but who knows? The bar is probably just not that high. It's still going strong after 11 years. As for heating, you can use the microwave or warm water and avoid an expensive feature and failure point for what is really a simple tool. IMO the onboard heater just slows down the overall work flow if you are switching between cleaner, acid, and rinse solutions several times in a session, though some will still prefer it.

I use Simple Green for degreasing, but there are no doubt many alternatives. Avoiding anything with toxic components seems advisable. Diluted white vinegar or other acid does a good job on salt, scale, and verdigris, but can degrade chrome plating, and aluminum/anodizing, if concentrations or exposure duration are excessive.

There are other extensive threads on this topic if you search here.

It's been a long time since I looked at these on eBay but it appears there are now lots of very low priced models, including many that are designed to appear like laboratory models. The model I bought is still being sold, but is pretty pricey now.

Ultrasonic Cleaner for Dental Jewellery Glass Cleaning CD-4800 PT

Last edited:
I have a Sonicor heated lab model, and a $60 60W plastic eBay model. I can't see that the cheap one cleans any less effectively than the expensive one, but who knows? The bar is probably just not that high. It's still going strong after several years. As for heating, you can use the microwave or warm water and avoid an expensive feature and failure point for what is really a simple tool. IMO the onboard heater just slows down the overall work flow if you are switching between cleaner, acid, and rinse solutions several times in a session, though some will still prefer it.

I use Simple Green for degreasing, but there are no doubt many alternatives. Avoiding anything with toxic components seems advisable. Diluted white vinegar or other acid does a good job on salt, scale, and verdigris, but can degrade chrome plating, and aluminum/anodizing, if concentrations or exposure duration are excessive.

There are other extensive threads on this topic if you search here.

I hear you. Thanks alot.
Got a picture or link to the Ebay model you have? I know they are preaty much the same, but just curious.
Yeah i use white vinegar on some stuff where it's not such a big deal with damage, chrome wise.

Post was edited to include the link. I haven't seen any damage to chrome, but I tend to dilute household white vinegar at least 4-fold and limit exposure to less than 10 minutes. I don't use it if the chrome looks thin or compromised already, and frankly with a good piece the solution could be removing chromium and it wouldn't be noticeable in small amounts anyway. I just trust that the brief exposure and limited number of lifetime cleanings won't be a problem.

I just noticed the first couple of links to the model I bought were for used units, one of which didn't appear to still have the basket. The new units I found have gone up in price considerably. Hope that's a reflection of quality in the lucky grab I made all those years ago.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom