ultrasonic cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi
So I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner online for servicing my dive gear. Its a nice looking machine but there was zero in the way of operating instructions with it. I'm looking for any tips tricks or advice for good use of it and to correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following;

Is about 5 mins usually adequate cleaning time for reg parts?
Temp of about 40 - 45 'C?
Can a plastic container be used in the basket for small parts? I was thinking about those microwaveable takeaway containers? (my wife has a takeaway so I've a ready supply of fresh ones)
Any alternative cleaning solutions to BIOX or something like that?(for alternative read cheaper)
For inflator hoses would you just clean the either end and keep the rest of the hose clear of the water?

Cheers for any help

time will depend on how good the unit is. I have a professional grade Bransonic that is much more powerful than the one I got from Harbor Freight prior. The Branson can do in 2-3 minutes what would take about half an hour for the HF model.
Temp as hot as it will go. Most of them only have "on-off" for power instead of setpoints. Heat is good for helping to break down salt though
Plastic paint containers are preferable. Put water in the machine, then use the chemicals inside of the paint containers. Much easier to fish all of the parts out and makes cleaning a breeze. Takeaway soup containers may work depending on how hot you get it. Mine will get near boiling temperature, but the cheaper one is probably only 60c or so.
Whatever the irish equivalent of Simple Green Crystal is
I wouldn't bother messing with inflator hoses unless they are sticking in which case just dunk the end in there

Hi
So I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner online for servicing my dive gear. Its a nice looking machine but there was zero in the way of operating instructions with it. I'm looking for any tips tricks or advice for good use of it and to correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following;

Is about 5 mins usually adequate cleaning time for reg parts?
Temp of about 40 - 45 'C?
Can a plastic container be used in the basket for small parts? I was thinking about those microwaveable takeaway containers? (my wife has a takeaway so I've a ready supply of fresh ones)
Any alternative cleaning solutions to BIOX or something like that?(for alternative read cheaper)
For inflator hoses would you just clean the either end and keep the rest of the hose clear of the water?

Cheers for any help
I use a glass food storage container in the US cleaner and a large shot glass for small delicate stuff. I’m not confident plastic containers will allow the energy through as well as glass.

I use a glass food storage container in the US cleaner and a large shot glass for small delicate stuff. I’m not confident plastic containers will allow the energy through as well as glass.
I found that glass containers work better. A simple comparison to see how long it takes to perforate aluminum foil suggests the plastic absorbs some of the energy.

I typically also preheat the water a bit, in a microwave or kettle, before adding any cleaning agents, since I've never really been satisfied with the length of time it requires, for even some expensive ultrasonic cleaners, to reach desired temperature -- about 50˚ C or so . . .

I typically also preheat the water a bit, in a microwave or kettle, before adding any cleaning agents, since I've never really been satisfied with the length of time it requires, for even some expensive ultrasonic cleaners, to reach desired temperature -- about 50˚ C or so . . .
Hot tap water works just as well (if you have a good water heater).

Cheers
Glass seems to be the way to go then, shot glasses are a good idea....and i have plenty! The unit seems pretty good. has preset temp and timer controls.
Biox seems to be going for about e10 a litre and all I can find in simple green is a pre mixed 20/80 solution for 8 euro.....

A note on using glass containers, they should be supported in the wire basket and not in direct contact with the bottom or sides of the cleaner as this can overload the transducer.

Hot tap water works just as well (if you have a good water heater).

Sadly, we have án on-demand model which either absolutely sucks or blows; I cannot decide upon the physics involved . . .

Microwave a 50-50 phosphoric and water and toss it all directly in
Assembled, disassembled, parts, orings, plastics, hose ends an all

I've got a small one no basket no glass no vinegar no simple green

Hoses in the laundry tub with washing powder then pulled through

Back
Top Bottom